Followup via phone for months 3-12???

Jen Lyn
on 2/21/14 6:48 pm, edited 2/21/14 10:49 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

I am doing well and under the care of several local docs. I have my labs done here and sent to the surgeon then I fly in two weeks later for the day.

Is there any reason I couldn't do followups on the phone? I paid all cash so insurance is not an issue. There is literally not even a bariatric surgeon within 17 counties at least.

gabby169kitty
on 2/21/14 7:24 pm

When you agreed to surgery you also agreed to a follow up plan and that plan should be followed unless something happens to prevent you from doing so. There is no substitute for a hands on follow-up.

poet_kelly
on 2/21/14 8:04 pm - OH

I doubt your surgeon will agree to do follow up over the phone.  It's difficult or impossible to assess a patient properly without seeing them.  Your insurance almost certainly won't pay for follow up over the phone and I doubt your surgeon will do it for free.  Maybe he would do it if you paid cash, but I doubt it.  It could be putting in legal and ethical trouble.

If you don't want to travel to your surgeon for follow ups, why  not find a local doc to do your follow up?  What was your plan for follow up when you had surgery?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bosslady1
on 2/21/14 11:01 pm - SC

In my county if  u can't make your appt. u can do a phone follow-up but u have to go to ur pcp to do blood work and weigh in so the information can be sent to the surgeons office.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/14 12:46 am

I don't see why not.  If all you need is lab work, and everything is well and you are well - IMO you don't need to see him/her ever.  Many people have surgeries outside the country and hasve either follow up over the phones or none at all.  

Save your money for PS. Find local PCP doc that can help with anything else. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics