Healthiest Protein bars?

Wishing_Well
on 2/26/14 7:16 am - Urbana, OH
RNY on 04/08/13

I have never ate a single protein bar, so I'm asking all of you which bars are the healthiest when it comes to lowest calories, carbs and sugar. Which bars/brands have the best taste ?   Thank you!

jenorama
on 2/26/14 8:21 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

A lot of folks here like the bars by Quest.  They have a good carb to protein ratio and are kind of chewy, but decently tasty.  They come in a TON of flavors and are easy to find at Vitamin Shoppe, GNC and body building places.  I had a chocolate chip cookie dough one the other day and it was a lot softer than the other ones which was good, but I was able to eat it faster, which was bad.  It didn't make me sick, but I felt kind of oogy for a few minutes.  Some folks also like the Premier Protein ones you can get in a big box from Costco, but I found those to be overly sweet.

Jen

Bibo
on 2/26/14 9:18 am

There are a lot of variations on this theme, but I make mine out of ground peanuts, 2 scoops of protein powder (I use plain or vanilla but chocolate would work), oatmeal,  half a banana, carob powder (1 tspn),  and raisins.  If you want sweeter, i use a shot glass full of sugar free vanilla or mocha syrup.  Use Slightly less peanuts than oatmeal. The dough is very sticky, but it spoons on to wax paper and let them set in the fridge.  They chill up to be pretty solid. Sometimes I add a low cal home made trail mix or coconut, or not. There are lots of ways to change it around. And can be all organic if you want.  I get about a cup of peanut butter to 2 cups of oatmeal...(put instant in a blender to get oat flour)......I like making my own cause the store bought ones are too sweet for me.  I put the sweetener in the batch I make for my roommate and keep mine sugar free. The banana is sweet enough and helps hold them together. :)

jdsparkee
on 2/26/14 10:10 am
RNY on 01/28/14

I just purchased a few flavors of Pure Protein bars at Target.  They were pretty good tasting with 200 calories and 20 grams of protein.  (I'm very picky about the taste of protein bars so this is a compliment!) :)

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14 

Most Active
Recent Topics