Lisa W.
on 2/28/14 1:53 pm - Denver, CO

I had a very rude comment made about my upcoming WLS and my age apparently according to people in my office they think at 50 its a waste to get surgery my life is half over according to them and i shouldn't take a surgery a young person could benefit more from what do u guys think about that atitude.

Lisa Willis

tdbull
on 2/28/14 2:44 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Stupidity. I am 56 and 6 months out. I wanted the best chance I
Of increasing my life expentancy and this surgery is helping me. No more blood pressure meds, and I am moving instead of sitting on the couch eating. Your coworkers are uninformed and making ridiculous statements.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

diane48
on 2/28/14 2:57 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I had my surgery at 64.  I did it for my health not for vanity.  I have been able get off most of the medications I was on before surgery.  I think I did it for the right reasons for me.  It's great being able to fit in smaller clothes and such but I just feel so much better!!!  A younger person could possibly benefit from the surgery but they would still have to jump through the same hoops and be able to pay for it (insurance, self pay) if they wanted it.  

At least the next "half of your life" will be active and not be handicapped by some of the comorbidities that come with MO.  This is your journey. 

selhard
on 2/28/14 5:52 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Some could argue the true waste is how obesity drains the medical communities' time on co-morbidity issues. (BTW, one of our support group members was age 71--you are a spring chicken)

nurl
on 2/28/14 7:23 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
Do not listen! I have to deal with rude comments at times. I will be 58 this month and I am down 100 pounds at 10 months out
Lora R.
on 2/28/14 7:35 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Lol, selfish little brats! (sorry first thing that popped in my head)  Why do you not have the right to be healthy?  Sounds like some are jealous you have the courage to do something to make yourself healthy and they may not?  Do what will make you healthy and happy and leave the negative nillies behind.  Good luck!

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

MyBariatricLife
on 2/28/14 7:40 pm

I think that you work with people who or either stupid or rude, or perhaps both. 

So, I turn 50 on March 18 and here are a few recent happenings that take the sting out of that for me... All thanks to WLS and plastic surgery after weight loss:

All of a sudden I am in size 2 jeans. I guess I had some swelling that went down from my body lift. So today I celebrated this non scale victory by buying a pair of skinny jeans and a pair of cigarette jeans at Lucky Brand. I am truly shocked that I am this size. I can still wear my size 4s with a belt. They are loose in the abdo. Hilarious!

I applied for my Indy driver"s license and presented my passport for ID. The women did not believe it was me. So I gave her my NJ driver's license and she still did not believe me. Hee haw! She was polite and accepted the truth that it was me in the photo because I had other pieces to prove my identity. So she called her coworkers over to show them my before photos and the very sweet ladies were gushing over my transformation. So much fun!

WLS and plastic surgery are the very best things that I ever did for myself. Regarding the plastic surgery,which I had last year, I wondered if I was too old to do it. Having expended that transformation for myself and my life first hand, I can tell you unequivocally that 50 years old is not too old for WLS or plastic surgery.

GO FOR IT. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Another Fatone
on 2/28/14 8:37 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I agree with the stupid and rude. I'll add dumb.

I a 69 yr old male. I am 6 months out. My mother and sister lost their toes and feet one operation at a time due to diabetes II. My sister eventually lost both legs and went blind. So when I was diagnosed with diabetes I did something about it. I left the hospital in remission. I also have 4 heart stents and stage 3 kidney failure the list goes on. I just got my labs and my numbers are looking much better. I am already off some on my meds.

50 is young...trust me.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

MyBariatricLife
on 2/28/14 9:57 pm

A diagnosis of diabetes is actually the linchpin in my decision to move forward with WLS in 2003. I was on 10 prescriptions for obesity related diseases and felt like I was going to die. Surely I was headed to an early grave. After WLS I got off of 9 of those 10 prescriptions (including injected insulin). Had I not had the WLS I honestly do not know if I would be alive today. I would have missed out on so much joy! Now I live a life I love.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

White Dove
on 2/28/14 8:39 pm - Warren, OH

Here is an exercise to explain what 50 is all about.

Get a blank sheet of paper and a pen or pencil and turn the paper sideways.

Draw a horizontal line in the middle of the paper about 1/2 inch in from each end.

Put a small vertical line right in the middle of the paper.  Put 0 at one end and 100 at the other and 50 in the middle.  Then mark out lines for each ten years.  The first two sets of lines represent the life you had living with your parents and going to school. They were not much in your control.

The next twenty or thirty years represent building careers, marriage, raising a family.

The left side of the line is over for you but you still have the other half of the line to do the things you now want to do.  You can live this next half in a trim healthy body.  You are just beginning your real life, the part that you can control and enjoy for yourself.  Get the surgery

0 __________________________ 50 __________________________ 100

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views