When did you start running (weight/BMI)?

Dcgirl
on 3/6/14 11:44 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi OH friends, 

I'm on a business trip and pretty proud that I fit in three workouts. Both yesterday and today I walked over six miles each day (thanks FitBit!). And in Mexico City we are at high altitude so every minute on the treadmill felt labored!

So as of a week ago I weighed 292 I believe. I walk at 3.2 mph and I am 5'4" and it's a decently brick pace. But without fail, every single time I am at the gym, the people next to me are doing 7 minute miles! With my current weight and former knee problem, I simply can't run. But I see a lot of you run and I guess I am curious-what weight or BMI were you when you started to run?

I feel like I will never be able to run, but y'all give me hope because I am willing to bet most of you thought the same at some point. 

Em

Sherrie P.
on 3/6/14 11:51 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I hate running. I keep trying - lol - I have a lot of butt skin and it really bothers me. I am still searching for the perfect compression pants.  

I started in August, so I was 6 months out. I promised I would do it when I reached onederland. I was like 195 and I am a hair shy of 5'8.

I like the elliptical better. I like Zumba better. I like kickboxing better... I pretty much like everything better!!  :-) 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

NDHM
on 3/6/14 12:32 pm

I love Zumba too! I actually think it's fun...I never thought I would say that about any form of exercise.  

Em, I'm in no way a runner, but I started trying at about 240, 100ish pounds gone.  I will tell you that I run with 2 pair of Spanx.  The top that goes down below my bottom & the high waisted pants that come up to the bottom of my bra.  When I run, there is stuff flying everywhere!!! lol

Dcgirl
on 3/6/14 12:47 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

That is super helpful! Good to know that at240 you could start to run! See the comment I just made on Sherrie's post about the best pants ever. They suck it all in!!!

Dcgirl
on 3/6/14 12:46 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Good point, Sherrie! Maybe I don't need to be a runner. I guess I just wonder if I ever COULD do it lol. 

The best best best compression pants I have ever found are the brand Marika and they are called Magical Balance. I get them at Kohls.com. They have plus size and also "normal". I get the tummy control boot cut pants. I swear they make me appear to be way thinner than I am. They are flattering and suck it all in and go almost up to my bra. I am obsessed. I have 3 in size 2x that I wear now and I already bought 2 in 1x since I am convinced they will stop manufacturing them lol. They look super small but somehow I stuff in them and look good :)

Thanks for the ideas about Zumba and kickboxing. I'm also motivated by others and in classes. I will focus on that for now!

NDHM
on 3/6/14 12:49 pm

Headed to Kohls online now 

Dcgirl
on 3/6/14 12:56 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Don't forget to google "kohls coupons" and get a code for x% off and/or free shipping :)

ebtiger24
on 3/6/14 12:43 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I was about 180 when I started. I was just above a normal BMI. Best advice I can give you is take it slow and get fitted for running shoes at New Balance or a track store that knows what they're doing. The shoes really made a tremendous difference. 

Dcgirl
on 3/6/14 12:50 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks, ebtiger! You made me check my BMI and it's now under 50 :) it's not good yet but it's better! So thanks :)

i did get an awesome, professional custom fit to the tune of $160 Asics! But they're amazing and even just walking I can tell such a difference from my old Adidas! Great recommendation :)

I dream of being a normal weight lol. Congratulations on being "normal"!!

Sherrie P.
on 3/7/14 11:56 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Do you get Tummy Control or Slimming?

Must find better pants...

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 253 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 54 views