Slight Gain - Looking for Feedback

PeakTek78
on 3/6/14 10:56 pm - Liverpool, NY

Hi all.  I had gastric bypass on 2/10/12 and, on the morning of surgery, was 402 lbs.  At my lowest, I was 259 and now I'm up to 276.  I weigh myself every morning because I'm afraid to be one of those people who gain all/most of the weight back.  I live in a cold climate and simply haven't been as active as I am when it's warm outside, and yes, I, on occasion, make some poor dietary decisions.  I'm remain proud of the fact that I'm down 125 lbs. but would really like to stay in the 260's.  Has anyone else gone through this (i.e., trending upward)?  How did you handle it emotionally?  I know what I need to do to lose the 8-10 lbs. I need/want to lose, but I guess I'm more looking for some "been there, done that" testimonials.  Thank you so much for your help.

jefferytmc
on 3/6/14 11:03 pm

I am only 2.5 weeks from surgery, so I am not there, but having done the yo-yo lose and gain routine before I have some idea where you are.

Are you tracking your intake?

Weight is complex, but on the long term, it is calories in vs calories out.

Go back to the basics.  Protein first always.  Then veggies, then fruit, then carbs if you have any more room (which you should not).

Are you getting in your protein goal for the day?

Are you drinking your water for the day?

You have probably lost muscle mass during all this, so you will have lost some of the metabolism you had, but what is your calorie goal for the day?

If you are not tracking, try using MyFitnessPal, it will give you a calorie goal based on where you are and where you want to be.

Then track everything that goes into your mouth.

I know it is depressing to a degree to go through surgery and have this issue, but you are doing the right thing trying to get back on track.

Does your surgeon have a "getting back on track" support group?  Mine does.  If so, check it out.  If not I think there is something like that on this board.

Best of luck to you in getting back to where you want to be.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

sjkern
on 3/7/14 12:31 am - wadena, MN

HEY PEAKTEK,,,I AM NO PRO AT ALL....I STILL NEED SURGERY.....BYPASS!

BUT STARTED AT 340 LBS AND FOLLOWING MY 1200 CALORIE DIET AND THERE VITAMINS THEY RECOMENDED. I HAVE LOST 35 LBS SINCE THIS MORNING. YOU WILL HAVE TIMES WHERE WEIGHT LOSS STOPS FOR A FEW DAYS...THEN PICS RIGHT UP AND THEN YOU THINK..."IS MY SCALE WORKING?" CUZ NOW YOU JUST LOST MORE..IN JUST A FEW DAYS.

PEOPLE ON HERE ARE REALY POSITIVE...AND YOU KNOW WHAT REALY HELPS...ARE THE FOLKS THAT HAD IT DONE YEARS BACK.....AND STILL CHAT ON HERE..AND THEY GIVE YOU GREAT CONFIDENCE.

Patm
on 3/7/14 1:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I went for help with my binge eating. I found cognitive behavioural theory very good.

gcmcal
on 3/7/14 2:33 am, edited 3/7/14 2:34 am - sellersville, PA

Hi PeakTek78,

I am in the same situation. I had surgery on 12/14/2011. I lost 190lbs, got down to 178lbs from 368lbs, and have shot up to 205lbs for gain of 25lbs. I know it might not seem a big deal but it is to me. My clothes I bought myself are very tight now. Today I started the pouch test thing and starting on liquids for the next 2 days. I am basically going back to basics. I will let you know how it goes. Perhaps starting from the beginning again and getting that fire you once had will get you on track. I am hoping it does for me. Good luck to you.

PeakTek78
on 3/7/14 3:26 am - Liverpool, NY

What is the "pouch test"?  I've also considered doing a liquid diet for a couple of weeks - but I don't know if that's healthy.  I'm not freaking out, but needless to say, it's disappointing.  Incidentally, I just walked 4 miles and lost 2 pounds.  Weird.

gcmcal
on 3/7/14 4:00 am - sellersville, PA

www.5daypouchtest.com . You can read all about it and follow the plan. I just started today. It basically takes you back to when you first started out of surgery. It may or may not be for you. I am trying it only because I want to do something before I gain all of my weight back.

White Dove
on 3/7/14 4:33 am - Warren, OH

I knew from day one to expect a bounceback regain at around two years of about 20 pounds.  I did not really believe that it would happen to me until it did.  This weight is much harder to lose than the weight lost right after surgery.

It is part of the body's process in correcting what it sees as having been starved.  The intestines develop more little hairlike projections that hold food against them longer so that it can be better absorbed.  The pouch gets bigger and we can eat more.  We get extremely bored with the post-op diet plan and eat more things and more of them.

The weight can be lost by counting calories.  There is no magic way now.  It is a matter of burning more than you take in.  Exercise sometimes is not your friend now.  Exercise can actually increase hunger, so be aware of that.

Start tracking calories.  A good place to start is to figure out your macros.  That is what many personal trainers and body builders do now.  The site to calculate is iifym.com

When you have your protein, carbs, calorie, fat and fiber numbers, go to myfitnesspal online and set up your goals.  Then weigh daily and track everything you eat. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 179 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 311 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?