Suggestions for travel during soft food phase

Lucy S.
on 3/23/14 8:52 am
RNY on 03/18/14 with

I had RNY surgery this past week on 3/18 and everything has been going really smoothly. On Tuesday I see the surgeon and dietician and will get moved on from puréed to soft foods. On Sunday I need to travel for work and am concerned about getting the right foods on the go. Does anyone have any recommendations for portable food during the soft foods stage? Thanks for the suggestions!

HW: 263  CW:245  GW: 140 

poet_kelly
on 3/23/14 9:02 am - OH

Yogurt, cheese, those little packets of tuna, protein bars, oatmeal (in those little packets that you just have to add water), little cups of unsweetened applesauce, soft fruits like bananas (only if you know you don't dump on them), protein shakes.

If you're eating out, in addition to the above, you can have soup, chili, cooked veggies, eggs, cottage cheese, refried beans, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Louise1974
on 3/23/14 9:36 am

A wonderful word of caution that served me well, don't try anything in public that you haven't had at least twice at home.  Even if it means you have nothing but protein shakes the whole time you are traveling, that may be better than getting sick or finding out something doesn't agree with you.  Safe travels!

PetHairMagnet
on 3/24/14 1:00 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM Pacific Time, Louise1974 wrote:

A wonderful word of caution that served me well, don't try anything in public that you haven't had at least twice at home.  Even if it means you have nothing but protein shakes the whole time you are traveling, that may be better than getting sick or finding out something doesn't agree with you.  Safe travels!

Very good advice right here!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

dragonlove
on 3/23/14 10:30 am
RNY on 11/20/13

On the yogurt, make sure and go for greek yogurt which is low in sugar.  Greek yogurt has about twice the protein as regular yogurt and the light has about 1/2 the sugar.  An all around winner for us!

Dannon Light and Fit yogurt has a variety of flavors and for 80 calories you get >12 protein and not many sugars.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

canttouchus
on 3/23/14 12:20 pm
RNY on 01/07/14

Don't try anything new! Make a grocery trip when you can to get milk or almond milk. I traveled right after surgery too and I drank a lot of skim milk because it's a protein and gets your liquid in at the same time. I also would recommend bringing a mini bullet or blender and protein powder to make protein shakes. String cheese is easy on the go too. :)

"There is strength inside of you that you have yet to discover."

Day_dream_believer
on 3/23/14 1:17 pm

Wendy's chili and refrained beans are easy to eat and easy to find while traveling. You can also do cottage cheese canned soup and yogurt. Make sure to bring lots of protein shakes and keep a water  bottle on hand so you don't get dehydrated. 

indybuttercup
on 3/25/14 5:35 am - Indianapolis, IN

I did string cheese, chilli from Steak n Shake or Wendys, Pintos n beans from tacco bell.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 325 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 278 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 446 views