How do you remember to take your vitamins?

rosegold85
on 4/1/14 5:13 am
RNY on 08/26/13

Hi everyone!

I had my surgery on August 26th, 2013 and I've lost 103 lbs with another 25.8 to go to get to my goal weight! I've been using MFP pretty regularly throughout the time for my food, sometimes reverting to good ole pen and paper but I was wondering how y'all keep track of the vitamins, calcium, B12, etc. you have to take. Any suggestions in this arena would be great as I'm okay at taking my meds but could do better. Also, in addition to calcium, a multi-vitamin, b-12 and iron, is there anything else anyone has found helpful to take as well? Like biotin perhaps? TY!

I wish there was an app that you could use for food, like myfitnesspal, that also allowed you to track medicine that you have to take - anyone heard of something like this?

RNY on 08/26/13; 5'10

abrannume
on 4/1/14 5:33 am - willingboro, NJ
RNY on 04/04/12

I use Walgreens app.  It has a pill reminder.  It doesn't track the meds you have to take but it will remind you to take them

dlang057
on 4/1/14 7:23 am
RNY on 03/25/14

I am only a week post-op but new I would need something to help me keep track of my vitamins.  I found a four a day slot pill sorter that sits in a tray and you can pop the individual days container out to take with you.  I met with my Nutritionalist yesterday and asked her at what times I should take each.  I found the one I am using on Amazon for under $8 and bought two so I would only have to refill every two weeks. 

Cunning_Pam
on 4/1/14 5:39 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Check the App Store or Google Play, there are numerous medication reminder apps out there. Some of them are better than others, so it would pay to read the reviews before downloading. Most are free, though, so you can try different ones before you decide which one works best for you.

For me, I put all my pills for the day into a three-slot pill container. I just start taking them first thing in the morning and work my way through them all, spacing them appropriately. While I'm not perfect at it either, I've found that I've gotten much better at it with a little practice. Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

poet_kelly
on 4/1/14 6:00 am - OH

I use one of those pill sorters so I have my doses all sorted out.  I take them with meals.  I don't forget to eat breakfast, so I don't forget to take my breakfast pills/vitamins, either.

Nearly all post ops need D3.  most seem to need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a good level.

Biotin is only helpful if you are deficient in biotin, and biotin deficiency is really rare. so there is probably no  need to take that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JenniPenny
on 4/1/14 6:02 am - MN

For me at over 12 yrs out it's habit, but at the beginning it just became part of my schedule. Morning is chewable flintstones complete-blood tests are still good so I'm getting my vits-sublingual B-12 is morning if I take it - I'm high on B-12 when tested so don't take it every day.

Lunch time, dinner and bedtime

is calcium. 500 mg taken 3x a day couple hours apart and not with vits.

That's all I take and what I've done for years so it works for me to remember. Try an app on your phone or computer if you forget the time to take them.

A pill holder with time on it works too.

jen 12+ yrs post op RNY

The Salty Hag
on 4/1/14 8:13 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I just set alarms on my phone, and I make sure to always carry the B.A. calcium citrate chews with me so I can stay on schedule when I am not home. 

I also have to take dry vitamin D3 since my levels were low. I take a few with me too...just in case. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ehbeagle
on 4/1/14 8:28 am - Virginia beach, VA

I take four bairiatric Advantage vits a day.  I time them around meals and at bedtime.  It seems to work for me.

browneyes65
on 4/1/14 9:40 am - IN

Is that all you take ?

Ehbeagle
on 4/1/14 11:13 am - Virginia beach, VA

Right now yes.  I am only 5 months out and have not had my first set of ore-op labs done yet.  I am having them done next week.  It might change depending on what the labs say.