Gout stopping my surgery?

Dizzinator
on 4/1/14 12:59 pm

I recently was diagnosed with gout brought on from my liver shrinking diet.  It is a painful inflammation of the feet/big toe due to uric acid buildup in your blood.  My surgeons's nurse says that my surgeon does not want to operate if I have gout.  I am on day 13 of 14 of my liver shrinking diet too!  

I am seriously upset about the prospect of waiting for a new date after I went through liquid diet hell for 2 weeks already :(. My primary care doctor thinks it is safe to still perform the surgery, but I don't know if my surgeon will agree.  I am not very optimistic.  I find out tomorrow for sure, but I have a bad feeling.  The crazy thing is that if I cheated on the diet, I wouldn't have the friggin gout!  So bummed and don't know what to do.  I am on colchicine (172.00 per bottle) for the gout as of today.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/1/14 2:52 pm - OH

What kind of liquid diet were you on that caused gout?? Gout has a number of causes, but if they believe diet is the culprit, is normally caused by eating foods with an excessive amount of purines -- and those come from things like meat, poultry, fish, and a few vegetables.  Just being overweight is a risk factor, so it probably had nothing to do with the liquid pre-op diet.

i don't know anything about why the surgeon wouldn't want to do surgery with the gout flare-up, but if he is reluctant, I am sure there is a legitimate medical concern.

Have they discussed on-going treatment for the gout?  I ask because I know they often use NSAIDs and that probably isn't going to be possible after the RNY.  That may be part of the reason the surgeon is reluctant to do the surgery.  It is something I would definitely ask him about, though.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dizzinator
on 4/1/14 10:12 pm

I was on all liquids, but my pcp proctors an all liquid high protein diet, and said it was the broth that probably did me in.  I don't know why surgery would be delayed, but I think it has to do with having an inflammatory issue going on.  Thanks for your support:). 

JJ0609
on 4/1/14 10:01 pm

I pray everything works out best for you. I know you will be bummed out if your surgery is delayed. Wait until you know for sure before you borrow trouble. It might be okay.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Dizzinator
on 4/1/14 10:13 pm

This message made me feel a lot better.  Thank you for your kindness.  I'll wait and see and then I will react accordingly.  :)

PrincePhillip
on 4/1/14 10:21 pm - Los Angles, CA

I was on Colcrys and Allopurinol at the time of my surgery.  I find it strange your surgeon is reluctant to do it.

Dizzinator
on 4/2/14 9:49 pm

Surgery good to go!  My surgeons concern was mobility afterward.  Gout nearly gone from Colcrys.  Just have to walk for him at 9am.  Surgery at 11am!  Wish me luck.

PrincePhillip
on 4/2/14 11:51 pm - Los Angles, CA

Wishing Good Luck!

chulbert
on 4/3/14 10:58 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Kudos to your surgeon.  Mobility isn't an angle I had considered and it's critically important that you get on your feet and walk as soon as possible.  That would be incredibly difficult if you were in the middle of a gout attack.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views