Ground Beef

dee317
on 4/3/14 4:00 am

I don't know how to start so here goes... I made some ground hamburger 3 days ago. In one of the books I had read they said to use 80/20 meat instead of lean (which is what I always use) so it's not soo dry. So I put the hamburger in my Ninja and blended it really good (tHis is another trick they recommended on doing). Then I cooked it on the stove till tiny little pieces. I cooked it with some minced onions, onion powder, and garlic powder. So when I had it the first night I remember having the big D. Today I went to have some I had probably hadn't even are a full ounce and I had the D. Is this dumping syndrome from too much fat??? I'm having dairy problems soo I've not had dairy for 3 days now. I guess it could still be my tummy is upset from the dairy. I guess if someone could explain how the dumping thing works. If dumping is only when you easy too much fat or if you do it with sugar too? Help me please!!! Tired of the big D! Lol

MyLady Heidi
on 4/3/14 4:06 am

All that fat would kill me.  Fats for me cause bloating and diarrhea which is why I eat fat free ground chicken and not ground beef.  If I am forced to eat ground beef, I get the leanest meat I can and cook it and then rinse it under a cold stream of water to get out as much fat as possible.  We get enough fat in our diets, no need to eat saturated animal fat, it is just bad for you in general.

Dumping is sugar into the blood stream too fast, fats may cause issues but it isn't what we refer to as dumping.

Good Luck

dee317
on 4/3/14 4:19 am

Thanks for your response. I figured it was too much fat. Lesson definitely learned. I've had meatballs and meatloaf I've made with lean hamburger and digested them very well with no problems. I digested that better than chicken breast. I haven't tried ground turkey yet but I did buy some. I got a variety of different things the other day. I got some fish and different seafood stuff. I'm not a fan of seafood but giving it a good try!  :) I'm needing some variety! 

Lemily
on 4/3/14 11:13 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

I was never a big fan of seafood but I find I can eat it and digest it so much better than any other protein. When i eat meats too high in fat, I have the same thing. Right to the bathroom. If you dont like cooked seafood, you may want to try like a seafood salad with a little olive oil/vinegar instead of mayonaise. Ive also taken tuna fish and mashed it up with avacado which is also good. I just find the fish to be lighter on the stomach and does not lead to bloating.

Patm
on 4/3/14 4:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Ground beef never bothers me and fat usually does. You might try adding moisture. I use it with chili a lot. The dry way you have made it would have made me very ill

dee317
on 4/3/14 4:21 am, edited 4/3/14 4:22 am

I definitely think you are right since I digested meatloaf and meatballs very nicely :) Thanks for your response :)

Brimiller808
on 4/3/14 9:56 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

Hamburger is the only meat that hadn't agreed with me since surgery. I don't dump but I feel bloated and gross. 

Ocalasam
on 4/3/14 10:52 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Lean ground beef is a staple for me. I have to have it very finely ground and not eat too much, but it agrees with my pouch much better than other meats.  I think I have a small pouch and if I eat one bit too much, I feel horrible.  After 15 months out, I'm still figuring it all out.  I think it's pretty individual how each person's pouch tolerates things.

chulbert
on 4/3/14 11:02 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Strictly speaking, dumping is a specific physiological response to carbohydrates.  You cannot dump on ground beef.  However, lots of people feel gastrointestinal distress after eating certain foods due to their fat, texture, moisture or other characteristics.  Try eating smaller portions, more slowly, or mix it with other ingredients.

Amy R.
on 4/4/14 12:42 am

Strictly speaking, dumping is a specific physiological response to carbohydrates

Actually, no, it's not.  It's physiological response to sugar.  I can eat carboydrates in the form of breads, crackers, pasta, et****il the cows come home.  I do, howevery, have severe episodes of dumping syndrome when I eat too much sugar. 

(sugar is a carbohydrate I suppose, but only one of many, many, many - just don't want someone thinking that ALL carbs cause dumping when MOST carbs don't)