Century Club in 4 months and 4 days - my story

Dcgirl
on 4/7/14 9:14 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

This post is for anyone pre-op, who is wondering, "but will this work for me?".

I was you, 4 months and 5 days ago.  I can't even say I was a failed dieter, since I had tried Weigh****chers and Atkins at various times, but for the most part, I was living large (no pun intended!).  The life of the party, I smoked cigarettes and went out for happy hours and dinners 4-5 times a week.  I didn't wake up on the weekend and go to the gym - I went to brunch!  And it had to be one with bottomless mimosas.  Since I didn't have any comorbidities, my weight just climbed up and up and up.  I had a boyfriend who loved my size (now I see there was a sort of BBW fetish there, but isn't hindsight always 20/20?) and a zillion friends.

I didn't get serious about THINKING about losing weight until a year ago when I tore the meniscus in my knee.  My orthopedic surgeon told me in no uncertain terms that it was my weight that caused it.  Last May I talked to my PCP about WLS and she highly recommended RNY.  I went to an informational session in June, went through the paces (exercise test, psych eval, endoscopy, supervised program, etc.).  And then two weeks before surgery I actually GAINED weight as I had a series of "last meals" in an effort to say good-bye to pizza, thai noodles, and all of the other carbs that were slowly killing me.

I had cold feet (who isn't nervous about being cut open) but I sailed through the surgery with flying colors, had an easy recovery, and was back at work on day 7.  I lucked out physically, with such an easy recovery.  But as many people will tell you, this journey is MENTAL.

So I have lost 101.2 lbs since December 2nd.  I don't say this for accolades or for comparison purposes.  I want anyone who is pre-op to understand that YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT if you take advantage of this tool.  Here are the factors that I maintain contribute to my success:

1. A kitchen scale.  This is a MUST, in my opinion.  I got a digital one on amazon.com.  I weigh EVERYTHING.  I cannot eyeball 3 ounces or a half cup.  I need measurement.

2. MyFitnessPal app.  You can find me at eawilson21 - I maintain an open food diary.  I log every bite or sip that goes in my mouth.  I don't care if it's a 10 calorie teaspoon of soy sauce - it goes in the app!  

3. No carbs.  I know there are many camps when it comes to carbs.  I choose to stick to 20 g per day, and I admit occasionally I go to 30 or 35.  This means no bread, no crackers, no rice, no pasta.  AKA none of my formerly favorite foods.  And sure, there are times I wish I could have a bowl of noodles.  But I think it's more important to walk up hills, to sit on an airplane and have the seatbelt fit, to not worry about sitting in a folding chair at a wedding, to be healthy...

4. I don't test my pouch.  Am I a dumper?  I have no idea.  I have not had even a bite of a cake or a lick of an ice cream.  As the vets will tell you, THIS is your honeymoon period.  Why test what I can tolerate?  I have a food plan from my nutritionist and I can assure you it does not include sweets.  Does this mean I will never have a lick of ice cream.  Hell no!  But for now, I am still in that early period of weight loss and I am sure as hell going to capitalize on that.

5. EXERCISE.  I think diet is 80% of my success, and exercise is 20%.  I am at the gym 4 or 5 times a week, doing the treadmill and working with a personal trainer.  Yes, this is an expense.  But I am no longer buying Marlboro Lights, margaritas, or nachos...so what better thing to spend my money on?  I burn at least 400 calories per workout (according to MyFitnessPal) and I do NOT eat back my calories.  So sticking to a 700 calorie per day diet and burning perhaps 400, well you can imagine this helps.  

6. My FitBit One.  I bought a FitBit One that hooks to my bra and I track my steps every single day and try to beat the day before!  My daily goal is 10,000 steps.

7. Gwinnie Bee.  Basically clothes that you "rent" for a monthly fee.  http://goo.gl/FSxbh2  As my sizes change day by day, I can order clothes from here without commitment :)

8. Recognizing and dealing with head hunger.  After a long, and stressful day, I find myself being "hungry".  Before my TOM, I find myself "hungry".  I have learned to find new things to take my mind off of this head hunger.  I might read.  I might call a friend.  I might go for a walk.  If I can't shake the "hunger" then I might have 2 pickles.  They are crunchy, they are calorie free, and they help fill that supposed void.

9. ObesityHelp.com.  This site helps me more than my doctor, support group, nutritionist, friends or family.  I can talk to y'all on here about things like non-scale victories, lack of poop, recipes, and more.  The people on this site GET me.  I consider many of you to be friends, from far flung places on the earth.

10. Being well-aware that I don't know sh*t.  Check out the vets' posts and advice.  Some of them are 5 years out, 9 years out...and maintaining.  Maintenance is a ***** from what I can tell LOL.  I could sit here and say "100 pounds gone and I will never see them again" but we all know that many people regain.  I can already eat more than I could two months ago.  I can't pretend to know how I will feel in two months, in two years, in twelve years...

What I do know is that I have never felt such energy, such optimism, and such gratefulness [is that even a word?].  I feel like at 36 years old, my life is starting anew.  I wish the same for everyone here who is considering or scheduled for, gastric bypass.  Good luck to all of you!!!  

Karen518
on 4/7/14 9:21 am

What a powerful and well written message.  Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your life changing decision.  I wish you continued success and health.

Dcgirl
on 4/7/14 10:24 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Awww thanks, Karen!  And congrats on reaching your goal!  122 lbs!  Dayum!  I am aiming for 170 :)  We will see where I end up!

Cunning_Pam
on 4/7/14 9:33 am
RNY on 12/18/13

You know, I hope you don't get tired of me telling you how amazing and inspirational you are, my dear. Because, you freaking are! I am SO proud of you, and the fact that you choose to share your success in the hope of helping others is just icing on the cake!

Huge congratulations on reaching the Century Club, and here's to however much more you want to lose ending up in your rear view mirror as well. You deserve the new life you're starting!

*hugs!*

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

MichellesJourney
on 4/7/14 9:57 am
RNY on 04/09/14

Thank you so much for all the helpful and inspirational words.  I am going into surgery on April 9th , thats like 36 hours away. I needed to hear that.  Thank you and wish me luck

Dcgirl
on 4/7/14 10:40 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Michelle!  Don't be nervous - well it's natural to be nervous but just tell them you are nervous and they will put this amazing and dreamy stuff into your IV that makes all right in the world :)  Good luck and see you on here in a few days, posting how good you feel and how you are walking the halls :)  You will do great - you've got this!

Dcgirl
on 4/7/14 10:24 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks, Pam!  You are too sweet :)  Thanks for all of your support and advice!  80 lbs down is kickass, my surgery sister!  You will be in the Century Club before summer.  You also deserve the new life!  Hugs back!

mamata2
on 4/7/14 9:40 am

Congrats and thank you for the insight.  

JJ0609
on 4/7/14 9:51 am, edited 4/7/14 9:51 am

Another very insightful post from you, DCgirl. It is nice getting to know you,too.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Dcgirl
on 4/7/14 10:26 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thank you!  It's great getting to know you and other people on here as well.  It's funny how on the one hand, we have the anonymity of the internet, but on the other hand, we are all getting to be friends!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views