refried beans

Kimberly K.
on 4/10/14 3:51 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Hello OH friends,

I notice many people eat refried beans. I am still on the pureed stage and am doing well. I want to try refried beans so I bought the fat free version and plan to puree them. Just wondering though, they are so high in carbs. The can I have is 18grams of carbs, 6 grams of protein for 1/2 cup serving. I won't be eating anything near 1/2 cup but still it seems the carbs are too high. Am I missing something? Paranoid about dumping.

Advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Kim K.    

Cunning_Pam
on 4/10/14 3:59 am
RNY on 12/18/13

The carbs in refried beans are complex carbs, and shouldn't cause any dumping. Simple carbs, such as those found in sugars and refined flours are the most common culprit of dumping.

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen, but it's extremely unlikely. Refries are great heated up with a little melted cheese and salsa! 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Kimberly K.
on 4/10/14 4:11 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Thanks! Oh, yeah, that is exactly how I want to have them too. Going to try them for dinner. Thank you! This pureed thing is a challenge but it's coming along.

Kim K.    

poet_kelly
on 4/10/14 4:51 am - OH

Beans are high in fiber and therefore high in carbs.  But that's OK, we actually need some complex carbs in our diet.  And we need fiber, too.  I think beans are a great choice - high in protein, high in fiber, good source of complex carbs and low in fat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LoriLo45
on 4/10/14 5:24 am

Hi Kim,

I've been on purees too and absolutely love refried beans and I don't even blend them because they are so soft.  I just make sure to chew them real good before swallowing.  Go and enjoy!

AnnyBananny
on 4/10/14 6:23 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Same here! I'm on purees and looove the refried beans. I put a sprinkle of reduced fat mexican blend shredded cheese on them and YUM - it's what I had for lunch today! I don't puree them any further, they're super soft like LoriLo said and the brand I've bought (I can't remember what it is though) has almost no intact beans - mostly mush.

Fair warning though, you might get gassy, so you might want to have some Gas-X Thin Strips on hand - I know I've needed them. 

Oh! It just dawned on me that a little dollop of fat free plain greek yogurt to top the beans and cheese would be really good too and still appropriate for the puree stage - I'm going to try that next time I have them.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

nfoy413
on 4/10/14 7:01 am - Memphis, TN

I tried both refried beans and 98% fat free vegaterian chili and both seem to cause more gas than normal for me.  I am in my 4th week out and I have to be real careful on things that get me gassy.   At that point i try Tums and Gas-X but it takes a bit for that to kick in and the rolling gas in my tummy is an uncomfortable feeling for sure! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/14 7:20 am

Try beano... But if you are like me - beans may be in your past..

Beans give me gas, gas and gas.   Smell and pain.. No matter what I tried.. I gave them up.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/14 7:21 am

Try beano... But if you are like me - beans may be in your past..

Beans give me gas, gas and gas.   Smell and pain.. No matter what I tried.. I gave them up.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kimberly K.
on 4/10/14 9:35 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Thanks everyone. I ate the beans with a few cheese shreds melted, little bit of salsa and small amount of low fat sour cream. Pure heaven. The best thing I have had since surgery. Jury is still out on the gas issue.

Kim K.    

Most Active
Recent Topics