Second (and third....) thoughts

Gillianlg
on 4/11/14 1:46 pm

My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 Monday morning.  Anyone else have second thoughts about the whole thing?  I am SO nervous and scared that I can't do everything I need to do after the surgery.

Any advice from those who have been there?  I have three little kids ( 5 yrs and 2 year old twins) and I know I need to do this, but I am starting to freak out a bit.

Thanks for listening.

--Gillian

dragonlove
on 4/11/14 2:45 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Take a deep breath and try to relax.  Pretty much everyone freaks out when the time gets close.  You are 3 days away... that's the same time I freaked out and got panicked.  Get some supportive people around you and remember back when you were calm and so positive this is the right thing to do. Realize that the first few days will certainly be tricky, but every day will get easier.  Just remember you are not alone and we all have fears.

I bet your hardest thing will be getting your 2 year olds to not slam into mommy and hug her around the waist... you'll be sore and won't want the tummy area touched at all.  Ask them to hug your shoulder for a few days.

Do you have someone who will be with you after you come home?  How long will you be in the hospital?  I was only in overnight, but some are 2-3 days.  Where are you located?

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

SHMILY
on 4/11/14 2:46 pm

No lifting

Surgery Feb 26, 2014. Starting wt 270 lbs

Gillianlg
on 4/12/14 2:09 am

Thanks for the advice.

I am just outside Seattle and I have a really good surgeon.  I'll be in the hospital for 2 days.  My husband and Mother-in law will be here after I get home.

Thanks again.

dragonlove
on 4/11/14 2:50 pm
RNY on 11/20/13
CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/11/14 11:02 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I also had second and third thoughts about surgery.  I was afraid to die and leave my son. I am also the primary wage earner in my family. I was also afraid to give up my food eating ability. Frankly, I think that the two week pre-op liquid diet was a motivating factor in my staying the course.  No way was I suffering that for no reason!  Lol. 

Ultimately, no one can tell you if surgery is right for you. However, I can tell you that odds are extremely high that you will be sore for a couple of weeks, you'll forge a brand new healthier relationship with food, you'll likely be a healthier role model for your three little ones, you'll feel better after recovery, and that you will be grateful for your surgery. Just recently I found a brochure from 9 years ago -- the first time I'd considered WLS. I'd been to afraid and cast aside the idea. My regret now is that I didn't do it then.  

Good luck on whatever you decide. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Jen Lyn
on 4/12/14 12:20 am
RNY on 11/11/13

I asked all my doctors(8 regular and 3 surgeons). I was still panicked so I made an appointment with the two I most trust and told them I am too scared of dying and the surgery is psyching me out. I asked them off the record to tell me if they were me, would they have the surgery.  Both would 100% have the surgery and my risks with an excellent surgeon were minimized and my health was not going to get better doing the same thing.

I had zero complications and frankly only a couple of food issues I can't seem to overcome yet, but this tool is giving me a second life.  I am backkkkkKK!!!!!!!

RRach
on 4/12/14 1:10 am

So inspirational!! 

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/12/14 1:36 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I think that most people have second thoughts about surgery. I didn't really freak out or anything, but I was worried about whether I was doing the right thing or not right up until I got on the operating table. I was lucky to have a husband who, while he wasn't happy with the idea of me having surgery, supported me 100%.

After surgery, you will be fine. You've had three kids, this surgery isn't any worse than that IMO (and in my case, was much easier!) Yes, you'll be a little sore, and you'll have some work to do in terms of your food and liquids requirements, but if you're already raising three little ones you should be able to fit everything else in. You're used to multitasking, right? 

You can do this!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

TallGirlCO
on 4/13/14 10:41 am

You've made this decision...now it's time to start the rest of your life! You have obviously decided this is what you need to do for YOU and your family. Your feelings are totally normal. Just keep focusing on your reasons and have confidence in your surgeon's abilities. 

I had RNY on 4/7 and everything has gone really well. I also have a 5 year old, and just one 2 year old They have been great, as has my hubby. We do not have any family close by. 

You can do this! I wish you the best and look forward to hearing about your success. Saying prayers for tomorrow. 

~Rachel