What's on the menu today, RNYers?

Dcgirl
on 4/20/14 11:16 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi Friends!

Back from a fabulous weekend in NYC, filled with NSVs!  We walked, walked, and walked some more (7 miles on Saturday alone!).  I wasn't tired and my knees didn't hurt.  I kept to plan and watched my friends eat fried chicken, warm bread, lava cake, and the list goes on and on!  I did go over my calories on Saturday (that damn guacamole is my kryptonite!) but I only ate protein.  I barely made 60 g on Friday and Saturday and yesterday I was only at 42 g so that is my focus this week.  I even lost a pound - not great for a four day period but ok considering I was on holiday!  

As someone who used to not like pics of myself, I feel like a totally new person and I actually like my pics!  I put two below.  Why one is sideways I will never know.  This site...sigh...

So, here's what I am eating today to get back on track:

B: Syntrax matrix mint cookie shake

L: 3 oz boar's head honey turkey, 1 oz colby jack cheese

D: Grilled chicken with fajita seasoning, sautéed onions, 2 tbsp light mexican shredded cheese, cholula hot sauce

E: 35 minutes treadmill, 25 minutes personal training

V: First batch down the hatch

W: I am going to up my water today - want to be over 80 oz

What's on your menu today?

JJ0609
on 4/20/14 11:28 pm, edited 4/21/14 2:37 am

Hey DCgirl! Glad you are back and had a good time. Nice pictures! Did you tell me to use a cup of Almond milk with Syntrax Matrix and a bottle of water with Nectar? I cannot remember. Sorry so forgetful. LOL!

I tried to give blood again this weekend and found my iron was still too low to do so. So I am going to double my iron. I also am deciding whether or not to up my calories to 1,000. I just upped them to 900 and it allowed me to lose 1.5 lbs. which caused me to meet my goal of 120 lbs. on my scale. I will try it and go back down if I gain. LOL!

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Nice! - Purified Water - 16.9oz Bottle, 50.7 oz/500ml 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Milo's Tea (Splenda) - Milo's Tea (Splenda - No Calorie), 16 oz 0 0 0 0 20 0  
Dannon - Greek Light and Fit Blueberry Yogurt (150g), 1 container (150g) 80 9 0 12 45 7  
Coffeemate Coffee Creamer - Powdered Nondairy Creamer, 6 tsp 60 2 1 0 0 0  
Folgers - Coffee, 12 oz 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Sweet 'n Low - Artificial Sweetner, 4 pkt. (g) 0 2 0 0 0 2  
140 13 1 12 65 9  
11:30 am Lunch
Nice! - Purified Water - 16.9oz Bottle, 50.7 oz/500ml 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Smart Ones - Weigh****chers - Chicken Mesquite, 1 package 250 34 5 17 640 8  
250 34 5 17 640 8  
2 pm Snack
Quest Bar - Quest Protein Bar Chocolate Brownie, 60 g 170 24 6 20 310 1  
170 24 6 20 310 1  
4:45 pm Dinner
Lean Cuisine Wrap Additions - Buffalo-style Chicken, 1 package (212g) 160 13 5 16 370 5  
La Banderita Flour Tortilla - Soft Taco Shell 8" (Medium) Shell (45g), 0.5 tortilla (45g) 65 11 2 2 143 1  
225 24 7 18 513 6  
6 pm Snack
Starkist - Tuna Creations Sweet and Spicy, 2.6 OZ 90 4 1 16 380 3  
90 4 1 16 380 3  
Vitamins
Rexall - Ferrous Sulfate Iron 28mg, 1 tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Equate - Complete Multivitamin Women 50+, 1 pill 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Citracal - Calcium Citrate +D3 Petites, 2 tablets 0 0 0 0 5 0  
Rexall - Vitamin C 500 Mg With Rose Hips, 2 Tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0  
  •  Iron and Vitamin C taken separately form other vitamins*
0 0 0 0 5 0  

Totals 875 99 20 83 1,913 27  
Your Daily Goal 900 113 30 45 2,300 45  
Remaining 25 14 10 -38 387 18  
  Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Dcgirl
on 4/20/14 11:35 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hey Sara!  Hope you had a nice Easter :)  I use about 10 ounces of unsweetened almond milk with one scoop of the mint cookie.  It calls for 8-12 ounces.  For the nectar flavors (like lemon iced tea, strawberry, etc.), I use about 12 or 14 ounces of water.  Sometimes I buy a 16.9 ounce bottle of water and drink some of it and then add the powder.

So, I am far from a nutritionist and only now wrapping my head around healthy eating habits for myself, but I wonder if your NUT would want you eating more natural food with a little lower sodium?  I know the weigh****chers, lean cuisine and Quest foods are easy and convenient, and I am ALL for convenience!  But if you were to grill chicken, or cook up some ground turkey, or sauté some shrimp, your protein would be higher, your carbs lower and maybe you would feel fuller and therefore not have to increase calories to increase weight loss?  Again, I say this only based on what I am finding is working for me, and I am by no means a doctor.  But that would be my first change I would do, before upping calories in order to boost my loss.

Enjoy your day and I think this is the week you start some of your volunteering activities?  Have fun!!!

JJ0609
on 4/20/14 11:53 pm, edited 4/21/14 2:37 am

Thanks DCgirl! I appreciate your advice. I am trying eat the convenience foods/meals that I purchased so I can start planning and preparing home cooked meals. I will continue to supplement my menus with protein shakes and bars to ensure that I get in enough protein. Plus I like the flavors of the products and I have a lot to use. I actually crave them. LOL! They are my weakness. I never ever thought I would be saying that? LOL! Definitely not pre-surgery! LOL!   

Yes, I am checking into volunteering this week at the library and animal shelter.   

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Cunning_Pam
on 4/21/14 12:33 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Hi Sara. Have you thought about trying a different iron supplement? After reading some of the supplement related information here, I switched from ferrous sulfate to carbonyl iron, which is the elemental form of iron. I find that I can take a higher dose of the carbonyl version without constipation being a problem, so I'm hoping that helps me keep my iron up. I'm getting bloodwork done in another month, so we'll see how well that works.

I agree with Emily about cutting down on carbs before increasing calories as well. You may want to try going much lower on your carbs for a bit to see if that makes any difference for you.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

JJ0609
on 4/21/14 1:43 am, edited 4/21/14 2:40 am

Thanks Pam! What brand and dosage do you use? How much and where do you get it? Thanks! I had not thought of trying another iron tablet. I was only focused on upping it and using what I had. DUH! I also appreciate  suggestion about carbs. They are high aren't they? I did not realize it. I am glad you and DCgirl are looking out for me. 

Cunning_Pam
on 4/21/14 6:23 am
RNY on 12/18/13

You're welcome, Sara. Remember that all people here can do is give you advice based on our personal experience, since none of us (well, very few of us!) are medical professionals. I use the Feosol brand carbonyl iron. I found it at Walgreens, it was on the shelf with several other types of iron also by Feosol. Each tablet has 45 mg of elemental iron, and I break the tabs in half (as I do with all enteric coated pills and tablets.)

Let me add that to me, your carbs are high. I feel you might have better results if you lower your carbs. But that's not a professional opinion, that's the opinion of someone who's done well so far sticking to about 30 carbs a day. You'll find plenty of people who will point out that I'm just a know-nothing WLS newbie, so I'll just add that here in the interests of transparency.  

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

SandraF0823
on 4/20/14 11:34 pm - CA
RNY on 12/30/13

Look at how great you look!

Yesterday I did eat a few chocolate eggs, but overall I stuck to plan. That made me happy. It could have been a disaster. I was amazed at how much everyone else ate and it reminded me of how much I used to eat. I am so happy at I had RNY. My life is so much healthier now.

Here is the plan for today

B: premier protein shake

S: 1 or 2 oz of honey baked ham

L: burrito bowl I made Saturday night with ground turkey, pinto beans, cheese, diced green chilis and topped with FF Greek yogurt

S: syntax nectar

D: lump crab meat with1/4 avocado & ****tail sauce

V: none yet, but I will when I drink my breakfast

E: going to try to walk at lunch and go to Curves this afternoon.

Dcgirl
on 4/20/14 11:38 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks, Sandra!  You're so sweet!  Good job on holding back yesterday!  Thankfully I just brunched in NY, drove 4 hours home, went to the grocery store, unpacked and did food prep for the week.  So it didn't feel like Easter at all and I wasn't tempted by chocolate! My desire for sweets seems to be gone since RNY - I miss the savory carbs (pizza, pizza, pizza).  

Your menu looks awesome.  Crab and avocado...swoon...my idea of heaven!

I used to drink the Premier Protein shakes but I am now obsessed with Syntrax matrix.  You have to mix them yourselves (I use unsweetened almond milk) but I personally love love love the taste.  Have you tried a bunch of brands?  I know I have!  Have a great day :)

Cunning_Pam
on 4/21/14 12:28 am
RNY on 12/18/13

You do realize that saying "pizza" three times means you will be thrust into a social situation in which pizza is the only available food option, don't you?  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views