For Prospective WLS/RNY patients...

CelticSoul
on 4/21/14 3:25 pm

From someone who has had a number of post op complications-

MY NUMBER ONE RULE OF THUMB:

I can't say this enough-JOURNAL JOURNAL JOURNAL -you must keep a strict log in the early days n' monitor food intake, output, total grams, etc.  I just passed my 2 yr post op anniversary and have had 8 hospitalizations since.   THIS IS LIFE CHANGING AND A LIFETIME COMMITTMENT.  This is not a New Age diet, but a serious and physically altering surgery.  It does carry risks and reversal/revision is not always successful or an option.

My personal experience in adequate/supportive post op care has been dismally disappointing and, IMO, responsible for 4 out of 8 unnecessary and expensive hospital admissions. 

I have seen the greatest negatives in many forum posts alluding to the lack of adequate post op care and intervention.  This is indeed something I have and continue to have experienced personally.  It is my greatest caution pre-surgically to prospective WLS patients.

GET IT IN WRITING...aren't you as important as a new car?  That requires a contract in writing...DON'T YOU?

Celtie

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/14 6:57 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

My number one rule is, follow your plan. I have seen the greatest negatives in people neglecting to follow their plan postoperatively.

To point out just one common example, take drinking, for instance. Many people get in trouble and have to be hospitalized for dehydration. There is absolutely no reason to become dehydrated. Drinking may not always be fun, but it is necessary, and it is possible. Just treat it as medicine, and do it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

JLS_NJ
on 4/21/14 7:18 pm, edited 4/21/14 7:18 pm
RNY on 10/15/13
On April 22, 2014 at 1:57 AM Pacific Time, Grim_Traveller wrote:

My number one rule is, follow your plan. I have seen the greatest negatives in people neglecting to follow their plan postoperatively.

To point out just one common example, take drinking, for instance. Many people get in trouble and have to be hospitalized for dehydration. There is absolutely no reason to become dehydrated. Drinking may not always be fun, but it is necessary, and it is possible. Just treat it as medicine, and do it.

Grimm Traveler, 

I just did v an "experiment" on my self after 2+  weeks of low weight loss I realize how low my water intake had been.  So yesterday day I made a more conscious effort, my work day is extremely busy. I don't sit still much!  And WHAM down 1 lb!  

I was wondering what you meant on your signature lline about the importance of R&R?  Attempted to PM you and it says your not reachable.  

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

Kimberly K.
on 4/22/14 10:56 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I like the "treat it like medicine and do it" advice. I have seen you write this in several posts. Make sense to me and I have repeated it to myself several times. So far, drinking it and doing it. Thanks!

Kim K.