Internal Hernia Recovery

proudmama13
on 4/23/14 2:03 am - Bristol, PA

Howdy! I had RNY in December of 2011. Over this past weekend I had to have emergency surgery for an internal hernia. I'm 4 days out from the hernia surgery and the area around my belly button is very sore/tender and my stomach bloats out so bad I look pregnant. I went for a second CT scan and they tell me my innards look normal and that I'm just experiencing post-surgical pain. I wanted to share, in the hopes that others would write about their internal hernia experiences. Is what I'm experiencing normal?

Also can someone share with me the progression of how foods should be reintroduced to the system after internal hernia surgery? I lost my RNY manual in a move, otherwise I'd follow that. My surgeon hasn't given much direction other than to follow a low fiber diet. 

Thanks all:)

Selena

Louise1974
on 4/23/14 3:05 am

Hi!  I had an internal hernia a year ago.  i am sorry that happened to you, but I am glad you got it fixed.  The recovery was actually very similar to lap rny recovery, maybe a bit faster (but my lap rny was pretty easy recovery, two weeks and back to work).  They told me I could eat what I liked but I found that in the first few days I did better with protein shakes and soft foods.  I was very sore afterwards and also bloated and swollen.  You had surgery after all!  Be well!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views