Breakfast ideas

dee317
on 4/29/14 10:25 am

I'm needing some  ideas for breakfasts I can take to work. I'm lactose intolerant and am struggling to think of things I can pack to eat. Something high in protein obviously and low carb. Not a huge egg fan or lunch meat person. Thanks in advance :)

poet_kelly
on 4/29/14 11:31 am - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BWB
on 4/29/14 12:02 pm

You can substitute almond milk for regular milk.  There are a couple of varieties and I can't tell you which we like because DH always picks it out.  If you don't like the first one you try, keep trying.  I use it in quiche all the time.  Quiche has a lot of cheese so it is like a firm custard with anything you like added for variety.  You can freeze it or keep in the frig for two or three days and microwave it for a minute to warm it for breakfast.  Options for adding in are: ham, bacon, spinach, broccoli, sweet red peppers, mushrooms, onions, and asparagus. If you like spicey flavors, add a topping of salsa.  

My second go to is Quaker oats.  I also make a couple of days worth.  You can add proein after it is cooked and it is delicious with fresh fruit like blueberries.  

Daisydoo02
on 4/29/14 9:33 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Dee,

Everyday day I drink a protein shake, I cycle through flavours.  I use "Silk" brand unsweetened Almond Milk.  There is no taste so its great with the protein powder.  I have a long commute into work every day so I drink that as I am driving, its great because its so portable. Tons of protein and I whip it up in my Magic Bullet and away I go.  Or if you get any of the "Nectar" flavours they mix with water and so you won't have to worry about the milk/lactose thing. String cheese is great, not sure how severe your lactose intolerance is and if you can tolerate cheese.  If you can tolerate cheese I often buy a huge brick of marble cheese and cut 2oz and put in a Tupperware and have that at my desk or in the car. Some people eat regular food for breakfast so if you have leftovers from dinner eat that for your breakfast.  A few ounces of chicken or turkey with veggies on the side would be great.  I was going to suggest the "Egg bites" from EggFace's website and then remembered you said you are not an egg fan, too bad cuz they are delicious!!  Special K makes a protein cereal, I have tried it, its quite good. You could throw a few ounces in zip loc bag and eat that or mix it up with some yogurt (can you eat yogurt if you are lactose intolerant?)  What about bacon, prosciutto, kielbasa, turkey pepperettes, jerky with a couple of melba toast on the side?  

Good luck, hope you find what works for you.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

dee317
on 4/29/14 11:26 pm

Thank you!!!! All of you gave me some awesome ideas and I'm soo getting that cook book! Sometimes I get tunnel vision and need to see a light! Thanks everyone! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views