unflavored protein question

gratefulgurl72
on 5/1/14 9:50 am

I have been adding "unflavored" protein powder for my meals, coffee, etc.  The problem I am having is that it doesn't hold up in hot stuff, I've tried adding it after things are cooked and cooled, adding i****ered down already and it doesn't quite work.  Any suggestions on what kind of protein would be better for this?  And still taste good?  Thank you!

poet_kelly
on 5/1/14 9:55 am - OH

I don't understand what you mean by "doesn't hold up."

If you put protein powder directly into hot liquids, like coffee, it will form clumps.  If you mix it with a little room temp liquid first, stir until you get a smooth paste, and then stir that paste into your hot liquid, it won't make clumps like that.  But I don't know if by "doesn't hold up" you are referring to the clumping or something else.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Daisydoo02
on 5/1/14 9:26 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi gratefulgurl, I am not going to lie, but immediately post op I tried to add unflavoured protein powder to my foods as instructed by my Centre and it was so disgusting that I gagged a few times. I tried it in apple sauce, gross, coffee (even after doing the tempering like Kelly suggested) and it was gross. I tried to sprinkle it on spaghetti sauce, marinara sauce, gross!  So I gave up and bought some Isopure Zero Carb Apple Melon and Grape flavours. That was MUCH better.

I personally could not stomach the "unflavoured" protein powder.  And unflavoured my ass, they say it has no taste, but I could taste it and it was gross.  Just my two cents and I know a lot of people do it and are quite successful, everyone's taste buds are different.  

I personally just ordered a bunch of samples from Nashua Nutrition (www.nashuanutrition.com) and they are amazing!  Super cheap and super yummy!  It was so nice to sample the flavours before buying a huge tub!!   And it was shipped to my house in two days, I am beyond impressed. The flavours I sampled are: Syntrax Matrix Mint Chocolate chip (yummy), Cookies n Cream (yummy) Chike Iced coffee (was good not my favourite, it has a really a strong coffee flavour), Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel (yummy) Lemon Tea (yummy).  I got a few other flavours but have not tired them yet.

Good luck!!
Daisy 

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views