Chips are my downfall, not sweets !

mama_dee54
on 5/19/14 2:49 am

I know this is what I will miss the most. I have to find some good substitutes. Hope they have some and then I know I can handle the post surgery diet for life !

Jules0225
on 5/19/14 3:21 am

If its the crunch you crave try roasted chick peas. You can top them with various things like garlic or a little parmesean or even cinnamon with a bit of Splenda. I have also read about some people who put little clumps of shredded cheddar cheese on a cookie sheet and bake it until it gets crisp. Chips were never my thing but I like taking the peas to the movies to eat instead of popcorn. 

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

mama_dee54
on 5/19/14 8:19 am

how do you roast the chick peas ? OMG! These sound amazing !

poet_kelly
on 5/19/14 8:54 am - OH

Buy a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans).

Drain and rinse. Put a towel on a baking sheet, spread the beans on the towel and pat dry.

Remove the towel, drizzle with olive oil (or just spray with cooking spray), stir, and spread out in a single layer.

Bake for about 50 minutes at 400 degrees. Yeah, they take a while. Stir three or four times during baking.

Take out of the oven, season however you like, stir, and eat. Yummy!

I like them with salt and some creole seasoning. It's kind of spicy. I've also done them with parmesan and garlic powder, and with cinnamon and splenda. I like them best right out of the oven. They don't taste as good to me if I save some for another day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jules0225
on 5/19/14 9:00 am

I wish I could say I have perfected the recipe, however, I have not... yet. But! Here's what I do... Preheat your oven to 450. Drain the peas (garbanzo beans) and pat them dry (I have heard of some people letting them sit over night to dry out, I have not tried that). Make sure to spray your pan with some cooking spray (I used the olive oil spray). Now depending on what you're seasoning them with, this part varies. I like my peas crunchy. So the first batch I tried was cinnamon and splenda... so I mixed them in a bowl, got them nice and covered and baked them for about 40 mins. They came out ok, some were burnt, which is why I pulled them out. Overall not quite as crunchy as I wanted but not horrible. The second batch I made was Parmesan and garlic. In a bowl I tossed the peas in a little bit of olive oil... just enough to coat them. I then seasoned them with Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Baked at 450 for about 50 minutes. What I found was that the cheese started to burn so by the time they were done they were basically a charred mess. I have since made several batches of the garlic Parmesan (even tried adding some cayenne pepper and other various things), I just don't bake them as long (maybe 40 minutes) and if I am planning to go to the movies I will make them the day before because by the next day they are more the crunchy consistency that I like. Also, I don't put the seasoning on right away. I bake them for about 15 minutes first then take them out, coat them and season them, then put them back in for another 25. I'm sure if you google roasted chick peas you'll find some different recipes. Also you can try searching this site (the little magnifying glass at the top right of the page) because I have seen may posts over the last 18 months I've been on here about them. Or just wing it and play around and see what you come up with!

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/19/14 3:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I make Parmesan crisps.  I finely grate (or buy it grated) good quality Parmesan. I take a strip of parchment paper and put 1 tsp of Parmesan 3 x in a row. Spread out a bit to make a circle. Microwave 30-40 seconds. Let cool for a minute. Crispy cracker/chip. I use them to eat tuna/chicken salad, salsa, pepperoni, or just alone!  About 10 cal per chip. I usually eat 6

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

AnnyBananny
on 5/19/14 4:46 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I looove this idea, thanks for sharing!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

mama_dee54
on 5/19/14 8:19 am

These sound real good too!

Ocalasam
on 5/19/14 4:52 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I am the same way.  I always crave savory, not sweet......and chips go down just fine, unfortunately!  I find that pistacios, almonds and popcorn are decent substitutes.  I still will have guacamole and tortilla chips on occasion as a snack if I have gotten my protein in.

LoriLo45
on 5/19/14 6:10 am

I like chips too and I found these yummy protein chips that helped me:  http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ch ips&Submit=Search

You can do this, especially when you start to feel better than you've ever felt in your life!