soooo...Getting back to Sandie's ???

Bluedog1925
on 5/25/14 8:14 am

I was going to ask a similar question regarding vitamins. Not asking for a fight or advice. Just want to know what others are taking so we can make our own call. Thanks!

Braceface
on 5/25/14 8:25 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I use opurity rny dry chewable once a day and on opurity calcium 3 times a day. I also have to take a protonix for 3 months and thats all.

Braceface
on 5/25/14 8:27 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

Forgot to say that I like the taste and don't have problems taking them.

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 8:39 am - OH

I take the Family Wellness brand multi from Family Dollar, twice a day, as recommended by the ASMBS.

I take Kroger brand calcium citrate and/or Upcal D, three doses a day, as recommended by the ASMBS.

I take B12 shots every other week - twice as much as recommended by the ASMBS, but what my labs show I need.

I take Sundown Perfect Iron, which is carbonyl iron, 300 mg a day, along with 2000 mg vitamin C (I use whatever generic brand is on sale), which is far more than recommended by the ASMBS, but what my labs show I need.

I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week, vitalady brand, which is what my labs show I need.

I take 25,000 IU vitamin A three times a week, vitalady brand, which is what my labs show I need.

I take 50 mg zinc twice a week, Sundown Naturals brand currently but I buy whatever is cheap, which is what my labs show I need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dccyr
on 5/25/14 9:02 am

I take 4 Opurity calcium citrate tabs a day and one Opurity multivitamin. None of the ingredients come from China and that us important. Also take one low dose aspirin daily. That's it.

Bluedog1925
on 5/25/14 9:50 am

Thank you so much. Some good advice. 

Cunning_Pam
on 5/25/14 1:09 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm just a dumb newbie at five and a half months out, so take anything I say here with a grain of salt. However, one of the things I'm determined to avoid is any nutritional deficiencies. I could very well be overdoing it with some of my supplements (which will show up in my blood work if that's the case) but to me, I'd rather spend a little more money now and avoid deficiencies if at all possible. I have a full blood panel coming up next week, which should show how I'm doing once I compare it to my previous labs. So for the moment at least, I'm taking the following per day:

• 2 Centrum Silver Chewables
  • 2000 mg calcium citrate (currently taking petites, so that's 10 pills a day spaced out 2 at a time every two hours)
  • 10,000 units of dry D3 in a sub lingual tablet
  • 7500 mcg Biotin (because why not, if it helps my hair and nails)
  • 1000 mcg sub lingual B12
  • Acidophilus probiotic (I plan to switch this up once this bottle is finished to a refrigerated, live cultures probiotic)
  • 2000 mg Vitamin C
  • 130 mg elemental Iron
  • 1 low dose aspirin (ok'd by my surgeon)
  • 300 mg Krill oil
  • Plus prescription stuff: Doxycycline (for rosacea), Amlodipine/Benazepril (hypertension), Levothyroxine (hypothyroid) and Protonix (PPI)

Once I get labs done, then I'll know if I can/should cut back or increase anything. I figure it's going to be a constant balancing act since surgery in regards to supplementation, and will require routine labs for the rest of my life in order to stay on top of it all. In the meantime this seemed like a reasonable course to me, based on recommendations I've seen here and the ASMBS guidelines. YMMV, of course.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 2:45 pm - OH

It becomes less of a balancing act after a few years, I think.  Most of my numbers got pretty stable after the first three years.  The last few times I had labs done, most of them stayed the same,  However, my iron did drop a whole and rather unexpectedly, the last time I had a full set of labs done, so you can't get complacent and stop getting them done just because you expect them to stay about the same.  But other than my iron, I haven't had to mess around with increasing and decreasing supplements in a while.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cunning_Pam
on 5/26/14 5:24 am
RNY on 12/18/13

That's good to know, Kelly, thanks. I've seen so many folks here with problems with their iron levels, and that's one that really makes me nervous, so I plan to stay on top of that one at the very least.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/14 4:32 pm - OH

The ones I take daily:

2 multis - some combination of Centrum, Centrum Silver, and Celebrate (all chewable) depending on my mood and how sick I am of which vitamin flavor, LOL

2000mg Calcium Citrate - a combination of Upcal D powder, VitaminShoppe capsules, Calcet Creamy Bites, and Bariatric Advantage raspberry chews

60mg Vitalady Tender iron (carbonyl iron)

The ones I take less than daily:

50,000 Vitalady Vitamin D3 - twice a week, three times a week once a month

B50 Complex (whatever I find on sale) - three times a week

50mg Zinc - three times per week

5000mcg Twinlabs sublingual B12 "dots" - once per week

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics