Questions about Reactive hypoglycemia

broadwaymom83
on 5/26/14 2:33 am

Hello. I"m wondering if anyone has experience with reactive hypoglycemia. I experienced a couple episodes during both of my pregnancies. (which of course the doctors thought were nuts because i was overweight obviously i should be diabetic not hypoglycemic). They never got to low just had symptoms at 69/70 lowest was about 65. but i was very aware of the symptoms. I have gained back all my loss from surgery 6 years ago.. (took me 6 years to do so though. So now. with 100lbs to lose to get to my lowest from surgery i'm rededicated. been going well lsot 10 so far. however i am very much following 'the rules'. but noticing fairly shortly (within an hour) from eating (low carb) (max 50 ish a day and all derivered from a small amount of berries, or from dairy sources and beans (made myself)  I get very tired.. yawning... racy heart feeling...  sometimes slightly blurry vision. tingle tongue.... I"m getting a new battery for the glucose meter i used while pregnant today so i should be able to figure this out. BUt i'm wondering if it started with higher lows for anyone else and then got worse with lower plumits? or what your signs are... did you ever feel like this after a correctly portioned good protein, fat but low carb meal??? 

THanks for any input,

kate

msromagnola
on 5/26/14 12:11 pm

Hi Kate- I'm not here to give you answers but to follow your post because I believe I am experiencing the same trouble.  I believe I will buy a monitor.  Last week at a health fair my BS was 62 about 2 hours after eating.  The symptoms that I am having that I believe to be low BS are :  shaking- at first "on the inside" and then I notice it in my hands; extreme irritability; sometimes sweating; sometimes it seems my vision goes kind of goes to "white" which makes me think I might faint. 

I eat a piece of hard candy or two and it resolves.  If I stay on my correct diet - which is high protein and low carb, I experience it less.  If I go crazy and start eating too much bread, crackers, and other stuff that doesn't suit me - I experience it more.

MSROMAGNOLA
broadwaymom83
on 5/26/14 9:48 pm

that is definetly a hypoglycemic episode. the trouble with having a piece of sugar candy is that your blood sugar will spike and crash again. 62 is definetly too low. you are going to want to make sure you have a glucometer. and keepa glucose journal find out what your symptoms are early on before it gets too low educate the people around you on your condition and what foods are most likely to cause crashes. it's extreemly important to stick to teh right way of eating because you could be anywhere or even more scary alone when it crashes, or could have taken a nap... please be careful

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views