Need some info from EVERYONE

LeslieMJ77
on 5/26/14 8:01 am

Hello everyone. 

Im about to write my second and final appeal to my insurance board. Since I had my surgery in April I fear the chances of them covering the surgery is slim. But since my surgery was a gift from my neighbor, I would love for my insurance company to foot the 16K bill so I can return the cash to her as she is about to retire and go on social security. 

I need facts on the benefits of having this surgery. Any websites that have great facts and statistics on the benefits of gastric bypass. Any help you guys can give me with this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

karin602
on 5/26/14 8:38 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

What a generous n e neighbor! Had you tried to get the surgery approved before she generously covered the cost? If so why didn't it get covered initially? I think getting them to pay for it now so u of be slim but that no g by depend upon why it wasn't approved initially. Did you go through all of the insurance company procedures? That could make the difference between it covering the surgery or not. Insurance companies are very strict about the steps they require.

Karin

LeslieMJ77
on 5/26/14 9:09 am

The surgery is an exclusion in our benefit plan. When I sought pre approval last year they told me under no cir****tances would it be covered. Then on Christmas I saw my neighbor in passing and she asked when I was having it. And bless her heart she gave me the greatest gift. Once I told her she said she wanted to pay for it. And that was that. Now im fighting the insurance company. This is my last chance to appeal to the advisory board which is made up of the depatment heads who bought this insurance plan and chose to exclude the surgery from our benefit plan. I work for my city. So the city administration is who I am up against. If they approve it then the insurance company will cover it. So I figure I need to be factual and explain the many benefits of this procedure. 

hollykim
on 5/26/14 1:53 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM Pacific Time, LeslieMJ77 wrote:

The surgery is an exclusion in our benefit plan. When I sought pre approval last year they told me under no cir****tances would it be covered. Then on Christmas I saw my neighbor in passing and she asked when I was having it. And bless her heart she gave me the greatest gift. Once I told her she said she wanted to pay for it. And that was that. Now im fighting the insurance company. This is my last chance to appeal to the advisory board which is made up of the depatment heads who bought this insurance plan and chose to exclude the surgery from our benefit plan. I work for my city. So the city administration is who I am up against. If they approve it then the insurance company will cover it. So I figure I need to be factual and explain the many benefits of this procedure. 

if your employer didn't buy the coverage for WLS, then the insurance e company is likely not going to cover it,period. Why would the insurance company pay for a procedure that your employer has not paid premiums on? 

LeslieMJ77
on 5/26/14 2:01 pm

Its a long shot. But 16k is a lot of money. I have to at least try. Im fully aware its a long shot. I have read the appeals process and according to everything I have read, the board can approve the surgery. Eapecially since my situation was not just to loose weight. Im trying to stay positive. 

SuzinDallas
on 5/26/14 11:28 am

Since you had the surgery in April you should already be reaping some of the rewards-can you submit some medical records with your weight loss so far?

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

LeslieMJ77
on 5/26/14 11:34 am

So far im down 50lbs and I will submit that with my appeal letter. :-) 

ShrinkingJoe
on 5/27/14 10:28 pm

Show them this image of what 50 lbs of fat looks like and ask them if they are now going to save money because of what you did.

http://www.drbillstiles.com/images/photo_lost35lost50lbs_600.jpg

chulbert
on 5/27/14 11:22 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You not only want your insurance to pay for a procedure that is not covered by your plan, you want them to reimburse you retroactively after you private paid??  Do I understand you correctly?  

Bless your and your neighbor's heart but there's not a chance in hell.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views