Low blood sugar problems

melissa_musicjunkie
on 6/2/14 6:11 am
RNY on 08/01/13

Let me first say that I have never had issues with high blood sugar or diabetes. I did, however, when I was between 17 and 21 years old, have issues with low blood sugar, so much so that I would pass out or faint, after a quick onset of cold sweats, nausea, weakness, dizziness, etc. I went to the doctor at that point, did some sugar tests and was told that I Had hypoglycemia and that I needed to change my diet, etc. I was probably weighing in from 155-175 pounds during those times. In the last couple of weeks, I feel like my sugar has bottomed out a few times...twice during a vigorous workout and twice just because. Is there a correlation between weight loss and low blood sugar? Difference with now versus 20 years ago is that my diet doesn't consist of any refined sugar, sodas, candy, whatever the heck I was eating back then when I didn't have a weight problem. I do remember changing my diet to not include those items then, and it seemed to help, but now I don't know what to change. I do eat fresh fruit, but I'm not giving that up...that's good for me! Any help or anyone else who has experienced this...greatly appreciated! 
(Yes, I will be calling my doctor)   :)

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

Momma2nicknmike
on 6/2/14 6:33 am - Beavercreek, OH

I don't have any really good advice, but I was like you and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was late teens to early 20's.  The difference for me at that me was I weighed maybe 130 lbs.  I too have issues with my blood sugar dropping lately.  Sometimes I can trace it back to having had too many carbs at the meal before, but other times the only thing I can figure out is that maybe I went too long between meals.  It's very frustrating!  It happened to me about 2 weeks ago and I seriously felt like I was going to pass out.  It hasn't been that bad since I was in my 20's.  I hope you get some answers for us both!

Lynne    

poet_kelly
on 6/2/14 6:47 am - OH

Reactive hypoglycemia is common after RNY.  It usually happens an hour or two after eat a meal high in carbs and low in protein, but may also happen if you go too long between meals.  I keep mine under control by eating small meals frequently (at least every three hours) and including some protein with each meal.  For instance, instead of just eating a bowl of popcorn for a snack, I might have a handful of popcorn and a slice of cheese.  I also carry protein bars with me everywhere in case my sugar crashes.  The combination of a little sugar and some protein generally fixes the problem pretty quickly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/2/14 8:57 am - OH

I had mild hypoglycemia before I had my RNY, and it has gotten significantly worse since then.  I do not, however, have reactive hypoglycemia (which is what is most common after RNY). My issues aren't after I have eaten, but if I do not eat in a regular enough interval (and what I eat affect how long that interval is).  The solution to both is pretty much the same, though, and it really doesn't have anything to do with eating refined sugar.  Carbohydrates are sugar. Meals that are heavy on carbs can mess with your blood sugar.

I find that as long as each meal consists mostly of protein but with some carbs AND some fat, I can go 4-5 hours before my blood sugar plummets and I get shaky, nauseous, etc..  If I don't have the carbs and do all protein, or if I have too many carbs and not enough protein, it happens sooner.  I also have a cup of milk, some cheese, or a half a cup of yogurt right before I go to bed so I don't get shaky right after I get up in the morning.

Sometimes it takes a little while to figure things out, but once you know how your body responds to what kinds of foods and nutritional content, it isn't difficult to keep it under control unless it is a severe case (which a couple of people here have).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/2/14 12:25 pm

There is hypoglycemia  and reactive hypoglycemia.   The diet is bit different for either one.  With RH - avoiding carbs, even fruits help with symptoms. But just plain proteins with no fat body may turn into blood glucose, 

With simple hypoglycemia - person needs to eat proteins and fats at every meal ... And make sure to eat often.

In hypoglycemia body has a hard time maintaining stable blood sugar levels either due to lack of  stored glycogen or hormone imbalance. (Steroids, thyroid, insulin, etc).

In RH - body makes too much insulin in response to blood sugar rising - so avoiding rapid blood sugar spikes, even relatively low spikes, can help with that condition. 

I have RH. I had too give up most fruits because they had too many sugars for me. I can eat some berries but not every day and not too much. And I always have to pair them with fat and some proteins. And I need to make sure the fruits are not in last meal for the day. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."