New to site and have a few questions...

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 8:34 am

Thanks for your post! I've also had 2 c-sections in the last 3 years and bounced back very quickly, so I hope it would be the same in this situation too! Also, I work for my mom, so I will have lots of leeway there. I do need a certain number of experience hours by the end of the year though, so I'm just hoping I wouldn't need much time off. 

Braceface
on 7/11/14 11:13 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

How much time off will vary dramatically from person to person and if you suffer any complications. My experience was that I stopped pain meds the day after surgery and was achy but expected that with five holes in my stomach. I run my own business and was went to the office for a couple of hours three days after surgery and back full time after a week. It was tiring but manageable. 

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 12:12 pm

Thank you, that's encouraging. It is reasonable that people will have different experiences, but I'm hoping mine will be more like yours. 

Grandmaneice
on 7/11/14 11:15 am
RNY on 03/24/14

When I first started out seeing the nut, I weighed 246.  I had to see her for a year, and was finally approved for surgery, which I had on March 24th.  Before I had it though I had to see my gastronolgist and have an endoscopy done since I have Barrettes esphogus.  He tried to talk me out of the surgery too saying I am just a little over weight. By then I was down to,like 215lbs.  This was from him telling me every year to loose weight.  I have not seen him since my surgery.

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 12:10 pm

That's odd he would act like that! I'm glad that you were able to get it done. How have you been since your surgery?

Grandmaneice
on 7/11/14 12:28 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

I guess he knew what the risks were of the surgery.  I am doing great.  Down 48 lbs since surgery 82 since I started.  Feel great walk everyday. Lost my job when I went back to work in April, so trying to find a job..though loving being home.

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 8:57 pm

That's wonderful! Good luck on your job hunt, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. That's something else I'm looking forward to after surgery - more respect professionally. While I've never been blatantly disrespected career-wise, I feel like people are judging me and think I'm less competent because of my weight. It's unfair. 

HarvestMoon1974
on 7/11/14 10:12 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

The doctor sounds pretty clueless. I was 31 when I had my rny, with no comorbidities. Granted, I had a lot more weight to lose, but still, if you meet the criteria established by the experts and your ins co, it's really none of his concern.

I had complications pretty late in the game. I developed a marginal ulcer about 5.5 years out, and recently had a revision, as the ulcer wouldn't heal and it had caused a severe stricture. That being said, I lost 190 lbs with this surgery, and would have it again, even with the complications I dealt with. My weight was out of control before surgery, and every loss led to a bigger regain. It's not an easy path, but for me it was well worth it. I've had two beautiful sons since my wls, that I never would've had otherwise   They are worth all the difficulties I went through with the ulcer and stricture!

I looked into the lapband before choosing the rny, and I'm very happy with the decision I made. I know there are some people who are happy with the band, but most of the people I know are wishing they had gone for the bypass.

Good luck to you with whatever choice you make!

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 10:55 pm

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to know that even with your complications, you would choose to do the surgery again. That makes me feel much more confident! And congratulations on your weight loss! And your little guys :)

I would like to have another baby eventually. I have 3 beautiful children already, but I lost a baby in January and still feel like my family is incomplete. I would like to be healthier first, so maybe in 2 years or so. Anyway, congratulations!

Karen R.
on 7/12/14 1:49 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Hi, Sarahdiane.  I started my journey right around the same size as you, so I thought I would chime in.  I'm 5'4" and was 237 when I had my surgery 15 months ago.  I wasn't aware of it until I began my pre-op tests, but I was pre-diabetic.  That was my only diagnosed ailment.  That said, my lower back hurt almost constantly, my energy was low and tended to get headaches.  I was 52 years old.

I wish I had done my surgery 20 years ago!  It's made such a difference in my life.  I've had no issues whatsoever and I had my surgery in a foreign country, where frankly healthcare isn't up to the same standard I would expect in the U.S.  Yes, there are potential risks, but according to what I've read, they're not "great".  Don't let this doc scare you.  There are plenty of physicians out there who support WLS.

As far as recovery time goes, I stayed in the hospital for two nights after my operation (one of the advantages of overseas surgery--they didn't kick me to the curb immediately after).  I was walking my dog the day I got home from the hospital.  I stayed home for two weeks, mostly because I was trying to get used to a routine, and then went back to work part-time for two weeks after that.  I had virtually no pain.  I took my meds the night I got home, but never took anything after that.  My main issue was feeling tired.  However, that was largely because my doctor had me on a very restricted diet.  I did clear liquids only for five days, then cloudy liquids for five days, then pureed food for two weeks.  I wasn't taking in a lot of calories.  Everyone's program is different.

I wish you all the best.  Do what's right for you.  For me, RNY was the way to go.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers