Extended Release Meds

Brimiller808
on 7/14/14 11:39 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

So today my shrink prescribed extended release Concerta after I reminded her that ER meds were not recommended for RNY patients. She assured me that she treats many RNY patients and most do great. I reluctantly filled the prescription thinking I'll give it a whirl because I do trust her. We will see what happens. 

My question is.... Does anyone here successfully take ER meds?  Just curious. 

Yes, I searched the forum for past answers but they were pretty old posts. 

Needanewbeginning
on 7/14/14 2:23 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes, many do. I use Wellbutrin which is an extended release tablet as well. 

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

lomercha
on 7/15/14 12:02 am

Extended release has worked for me. I was surprised too! I always mention to the doc that they are not supposed to work.

Brimiller808
on 7/15/14 11:56 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

Well, I feel like it worked for me today so I'm glad. Dreaded having to take 2 doses a day!  Thanks for the input!

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/14 8:04 am - MA
RNY on 05/30/13

Hello, I am on Sustained release anti depressant, And it is working for me for .This is the article my Dr. gave me to get an understanding of the SR and the XR: SR” means “sustained release.”
SR means that the dose  is slowly released into the body throughout the day with the goal of maintaining a constant drug concentration in the bloodstream.  XL releases the dose for an extended period of time in a day. The SR formulation is slowly released in 12 hours while the Extended Release doses are released for a period of 24 hours....Most SR is taken twice a day and most Extended is once a day......That is how I understand it...But I am not a Dr. I am only saying how I was told about the difference between the 2......Also my Dr. did feel the SR was better suited for the RNY patient than the Extended Release....Always talk to your own PCP or Pdoc.

Please anyone correct me if I may be  misinformed .

Good Luck

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?