Question on Labs

browneyes65
on 7/23/14 6:12 am - IN

I'm 7 months out now and have not had a lot of labs just my 3 mo, 6mo and that was just one or two tubes of blood. I have heard some people say they have  had 14 tubes of blood drawn, I never had. I go to my surgeon and they ask how I'm doing and just order a few labs. I was thinking if I go to my PCP and ask her for labs to check a lot of things what labs should I ask for? I would like to know what all labs I need. Thanks

Laura in Texas
on 7/23/14 9:37 am

HERE is a great post on Pam's blog. LAst time I had 30 vials drawn. A friend works for a doctor and wrote out the lab order for me. I wanted to check everything. Normally I get 15-20 vials drawn.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

browneyes65
on 7/28/14 1:46 pm - IN

When they draw that much blood how long does it take ? is that to much blood to take at one time ? also so my insurance covers it should the labs be listed as gastric bypass labs because they need reasons for so many labs ?

gtrdyfor50
on 7/23/14 10:08 am
RNY on 10/08/13
You may want to use the Search feature on here, lots of posts on this topic.

Jen 1959
on 7/23/14 10:51 am - NH

Hello, I actually left my PCP of 10 years because she would not order the labs Gastric by pass patients need, and the very knowledgeable people on here also commented on my missing tests.      I  only had a tube or two  drawn.    I was missing so many vital tests.     I could not get her to order anymore then she felt I needed. .She did not feel the majority of the labs were needed.  My new PCP will order any lab test I ask for.. My levels on the missing tests were low, now I am at my desired level.  

I will add that before I changed my PCP, I questioned how would I know if a new PCP would respect my wishes.      Soooo...my friend had an appointment with his PCP and I asked my friend to explain my situation to his  Dr.

this Dr. said he would be more then willing to order what ever I wanted.         That is how I came to be his patient...I was sad to leave my long term PCP, other then the labs , we had a very good relationship.    My Surgeon did not order full labs either.  I feel very confident now , and am very happy to finally have full set of tests. 

I even had a Dexa Scan which my other PCP did not feel  was neccesary. Results showed Ostepenia.

I wish you the best of luck.

Never intended to rambel on and on.

Jennifer

RNY 5/30/08

S/W  236

C/W  115

browneyes65
on 7/30/14 3:05 pm - IN

if I was to change Doctors how would I know if they would order tests needed, they might not do it either.

Jen 1959
on 7/31/14 7:36 am - NH

Maybe go in for a consultation?          Do you know anyone who has had this surgery?         If so are they happy with their Dr.?

If my friend had not been able to ask.... I would have gone in for a consultation, even if I had to pay out of pocket.

Maybe write a short letter to a Dr. explaining your situation and concerns?        

Jennifer

RNY 5/30/08

S/W  236

C/W  115

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?