Ground Beef Question

mamata2
on 8/19/14 4:20 am

OK, so I had my 6 week post-op appointment with my NUT today and she told me I can't have ground beef until 9 months post op.  Huh?  I find this to be a VERY LONG time.  I have already had a small amount of ground beef, which I chewed extremely well and had no problem with it. 

What has everyone else been told?

TIA

angeleigh
on 8/19/14 5:08 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I lived on Chili for the first few months! I mixed ground beef in tons of food items to get my protein in. Such as ground beef with re-fried beans and taco sauce, or beef with ricotta cheese and spaghetti sauce. I tend to do an leaner ground beef, maybe that is why they dont want you to have it because of the fat? But I would of asked why.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

mamata2
on 8/19/14 5:21 am

She said our pouches cannot digest it.  It had nothing to do with the fat...

poet_kelly
on 8/19/14 6:07 am - OH

You might want to ask her to back that up.  What study showed our pouches can't digest ground beef?

Or you might just want to see a registered dietician instead.  An RD has a degree in nutrition and is licensed by the state.  Nutritionists don't have to have any type of degree or special training at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Caroline K.
on 8/19/14 6:03 am

The centre I went through said no red meat for the first 6 months. The reasoning seems to be that it's harder for people to digest, and that the internals are still healing.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

poet_kelly
on 8/19/14 6:06 am - OH

My surgeon's plan said ground beef was OK on the soft foods diet, so two weeks post op.  Or one week post op, even, if I wanted to puree it.  Did you ask your nutritionist why she recommended not having it until nine months post op?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mamata2
on 8/19/14 6:08 am

She said it was too difficult for our pouches to digest.  However, she said ground turkey and pork is fine...

poet_kelly
on 8/19/14 6:14 am - OH

But what is she basing that statement on?  My guess is nothing.  And what happens after nine months that suddenly makes our pouches able to digest it?

Again, it sounds like she isn't very educated about nutrition after RNY.  You might get better advice from a registered dietician.

Tracy D.
on 8/19/14 6:22 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sounds ridiculous to me.  Now I had some issues with ground beef when I moved to solid foods because of the grease factor but I had that issue with ALL meat that was greasy, not just beef.  

I'm with Kelly on this one - ask her to show you the scientific research that backs up her statement about you not being able to properly digest it.  I bet she can't produce it.  "Nutritionists", unfortunately, are woefully uninformed about the needs of various WLS patients :-( 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

dragonlove
on 8/19/14 6:26 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Just to add more data points.... my Nut told me it was fine once I got past pureed stage. So about week 4 I think.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 302 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?