Old Habits Creepin in at 11 months

Ehbeagle
on 8/26/14 12:17 pm - Virginia beach, VA

My surgery was 11 months ago , and in that time I have lost 150 lbs.  I am within 5 lbs if my goal weight, and TERRIFIED that I will gain it all back so why am I allowing ld habits to creep back in?

Lately I have been doing a lot if snacking which is NOT on my plan.  For the most part the snack are protein in the form of nuts, beef jerky, etc. but occasionally it is a cookie.  It's not that I am hungry or stressed or sad, eyc but I want something to chew, something in my mouth.  I have tried gum, but it really doesn't satisfy.  

I thought thus this problem would solve itself when I went back to work (I am a teacher), but instead I find myself snacking when I get home like I did before surgery(my problem time).  So, I KNOW what the problem is, and I KNOW I need to stop, but I am afraid I won't like so many diets before.

I don't know if I want advice or sympathy from those who may have experienced something similar, I just KNOW that I had to write it all down.  Something about writing it out makes it better, maybe makes me accountable.  Anyway thanks for "listening".

White Dove
on 8/26/14 12:33 pm - Warren, OH

I pretty much don't eat meals.  I have six snacks a day.  Eating every three hours seems to keep me from wanting to graze.  I track what I eat and stay at 1400 calories a day.  If I don't weigh myself daily, I will gain weight back.  Check out the Eggface site for things that you will enjoy as snacks and keep things out of your house that will cause you to go off of your plan.  

Old habits are tough.  One thing that helps me is going directly from work to the gym.  After a workout I don't feel as hungry.  

Concentrate on high protein and make sure you are eating things that you enjoy.  During the second year after surgery most people can pretty much get away with eating anything and malabsorption saves them from regain.  

This gets tougher as time goes on, so use your current honeymoon period to get off some extra pounds.  That will give you a cushion if regain starts.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

tdbull
on 8/26/14 2:21 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I'm right where you are. I hit goal, went on to maintenance, started letting old habits creep back in, now I'm fighting to get off the breads, crackers and the occasional sweet. I'm so mad at myself. Maybe we can motivate each other to get back on track.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Carol M.
on 8/26/14 6:51 pm - TX

I am having the same problem....10 lb weight gain over the past year and blood work show that all the levels, glucose, cholestrol, etc are all back up to presurgery levels.  I knew that I had not been as compliant as I should be, but life threw me several curves and I lost focus over the past year. Also, lack of time caused me not to stay in touch with my support groups...I am hoping that I can get back on track and get these levels back into a normal range, especially glucose.  I really do not want to start the medication regime again. 

Well, we all know what we should and should not be doing.  Let's all work to support each other and get back on track.

Carol , East Texas
Price S.
on 8/26/14 9:01 pm - Mills River, NC

Maintaining is so much harder than losing.  I am 4 yrs post op and it is a daily battle.  We have surgery on our tummy not our head and so many of our problems and in our head.

Join us on the Light weight board.  We have a group of vet who post on miles and menus daily and weekly weigh in on Sunday.  Helps to be accountable and get back on track. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MichellesJourney
on 8/28/14 2:29 am
RNY on 04/09/14

I am having the same problem.  I am almost 5 months out and find myself eating chips and crap.  I really need to get back into the game.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views