6 years out and i've gained weight PLEASE HELP!

Anna E.
on 8/31/14 1:31 pm - San Antonio, TX

Hi my names Anna I havent been on here in quite some time..... I started gaining weight about a year and a half ago and i havent been able to stop eating and i;ve gained 60 pounds can someone please help me get back on tract. I need to know how i can get motivated and how do i start getting back on track.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 8:13 pm

Hi Anna, I had Gastric Bypass May 2012, and I was given Birth Control Shot March of 2013. I so understand about gaining weight. I gained around 30 lbs over night. I started wanting to eat things like cereal, candy, and cookies, which I had been trained before surgery to stay away from .   I was around a size 20, when I started my journey, and I lost weight so fast in the beginning that I got down to Junior 11.  I struggle with depression, and I am also Biploar.  I have had so many side effects with nausea, dizzy head, throwing up, gas, and Fibro issues since sugery.  I am on nausea meds still almost year day.  I have Migraines very bad since surgery too.  I was a successful career woman, and now I am having to lay in the bed.  I have issues drinking Protein Shakes too sometimes. I have some luck with GNC Lean Shake in the Choc Flavor.  I had a reality check one day walking into my closet.  I started pulling out my favorite clothes, and they would not fit.  I made appt at the Nutrition at the base where I live, and she showed me how to look at bread, and other things in the grocery store. It has helped so much for me to walk into the grocery store and to avoid all the cakes, and processed food . I shop fresh veggies, fresh fruit if possible, (or no sugar added can), and bread has to say whole wheat, or whole grain. Here is the yogurt(Dannon Light and Fit its 80 calories).  I use only Pam Spray, or Olive Oil only to cook. I use sometimes Smart Balance (Light).  I have lost 15 lbs so far in a couple weeks. I try to walk with my hubby, when he is not deployed. We also have a huge gym here where I live I go too.  I can finally get in some 11 and some 13.  I had to hit rock bottom to get myself back on track, but why have surgery to go back to what you were before.  Take control of your life! You are beautiful no matter what though in the eyes of Jesus. I had the worse time after sugery with not being able to eat chicken, so it was grilled mostly even now.  I could not eat pasta, or rice for six months.  Now I try to eat it only once a month.  I am only eating at Tropical Smoothie smoothies, Moe's Grill(there grilled chicken is fresh, and all the green peppers, onions, and mushrooms I can have in a salad, taco, or burrito its approved by the diet lady at base.  I watch loads of Food Network.  Only you can make the decision to change the way you feel about food.  I was eating due to the birth control shot, but When I get really depressed I want to eat loads of things unapproved.  My friends in Vitamin World are B100, B12, Ca, Miralax or Generic formula at Publix (Clearlax), and Citrucel(fiber), One Day Womens Daily.  I mix the powder laxative in Smoothies.  I have had loads of testing, and they cannot find a medical reason I feel like I am sick.  My Base Sugeron thinks its due to the Bipolar making things like this happen, but I was fine before I had surgery, and right now I feel pretty good, but my 4pm I will be so tired.  Do you have problems sleeping. I do have loads of sleepless nights, but I have noticed that when I sleep more I drop more weight. I did not like Blueberries raw, but I love them now.  I can eat cabbage cooked, Brussel Sprouts, Bananas, Eggs, and much more that what others I know that has had this surgery.  I want to now take all the loose skin off.  I am going to also have breast lift too.  I hope you can use the healthly hints I have gave you, and have success again. Best Wishes

jstansel57
on 8/31/14 11:42 pm

Hi Anna, I'm so glad you shared your post. I had rny surgery in 2005. I weighed 309. I got down to 189 but creeped right back up to 204. Stayed there for a long time and then last year I started gaining the weight back. I am now at 240. I'm so mad at myself!!! I work from home and I graze all day. I have got to get back on track. I have to!!!! Your post helps me so I hope I help you when I day , we can do this. I'm dragging out my book and starting over like a newbie. I pray it works. Good luck and let's do this together. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/14 1:36 am - OH

Unfortunately, no one here can help you get motivated... That has to come from within.  We can, however, remind you of how much better you will feel (both physically and psychologically) if you drop the weight again, and we can encourage you to give yourself that gift. It is definitely possible!

Go back to basics: lots of dense protein, limited carbs (and NO "white" carbs), lots of water or other non-caloric liquids (but never with, or right after, meals), limited portions, and no non-protein snacks.  Think about how you ate when you were 6-9 months post-op.  Your portion sizes will likely be larger now, but the eating plan should be similar.

I know how easy it is to let portion sizes creep up over the years (BTDT) so I would encourage you to measure your portions at least for a short period of time to be sure that you know how much you are eating.  It will probably also help to track your food for a little while so you know how many calories and carbs you are consuming and how much protein you are getting.

I also have personally found that I do better with maintaining my weight when I eat only until I am satisfied (or I have had enough protein) rather than eating until I actually feel full.  I also still try to follow my surgeon's recommendation to eat protein first at every meal.  I usually eat only a couple of bites of any side dishes until after I have finished the protein.

I have never heard of anyone who committed themselves to going back to basics and were NOT able to get the weight back off.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

keerle
on 9/2/14 12:20 am - Knoxville, TN

Thank you all so much for this topic. I too am 5 years out and have just started to gain my weight back. I have gained 24 lbs this year. I tell myself everyday that I'm going to eat right but then I end up doing the exact opposite. I am so discouraged.

tbazz12
on 9/3/14 3:59 am - MI

Hi Anne,

I too have gained weight. My surgery was the pits. Sick for most of the first year. In and out of the hospital. I to am looking for help. Maybe we can work together to encourage each other.

tina

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 234 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 111 views