Lorazepam

mmona
on 10/16/14 10:49 am

Is it ok to take this medicine after surgery?

Sherrie P.
on 10/16/14 11:20 am, edited 10/16/14 11:22 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I don't see why not. It isn't a Nsaid... and it isn't time released.

If you have any doubts ask your surgeon.  I would just take one and see if you react differently!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/16/14 11:34 am - OH

Yes, it is fine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bublegirl1
on 10/16/14 11:53 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Can I ask you a question? Why can we not take extended release medications after Rny? I was recently weaned off paxil to take extended release Paxil and I've been trying to get in to see my psychiatrist so she can switch my medication because I'm having side effects now and I'm worried I'm not going to be able to wean off them in time before my surgery. Thanks 

-Amie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/16/14 1:25 pm - OH

Because part of the intestine is bypassed with RNY, there is less opportunity for the medication to release and absorb before it gets to the portion of the intestine where it can no longer be absorbed.  It simply doesn't spend enough time in the intestine to allow all of it to absorb.  

Some of it will still absorb, but it is impossible to know how much of the dose you are actually getting, and since most extended release meds are intended to be taken only once a day, it is difficult to adjust the dose to make up for what doesn't get absorbed (i.e., you cannot just add a second dose each day as you could with an immediate release version of the medication).  So with medications where dosage is very important, especially when it is a drug that "piggybacks" on another drug, it is difficult to get an appropriate dose.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bublegirl1
on 10/16/14 1:27 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I see. Thanks so much. Ill call again tomorrow and explain to my psychiatrist about it and hopefully she will fit me in to see me soon and switch my medications over in time for surgery. 

-Amie

Paulinev
on 10/17/14 4:53 am

I take this once or twice a day depending.  It is definetely o.k. to use.  Asked my surgeon before taking it and my medical doctor, who prescribed it said it would be ok.

P

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 165 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views