Emotional

joshie2645
on 10/30/14 11:23 am - Springdale, AR

So, I had my RNY surgery on Tuesday and I've been so emotional since I left the hospital. I don't know why. Has anyone else been emotional after their surgery?

Sherrie P.
on 10/30/14 11:49 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Sure - giant life decision. Losing my best friend - food ... not being able to be "normal" yet.  Hormones are stored in fat and rapid weight loss releases them.  It is a roller coaster.  Good luck, hang in there. It gets better!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 10/30/14 12:39 pm - OH

Almost everyone, I think.

Here's why.  You just had major surgery, you're in at least some pain, you might still be on pain meds which have side effects, you still have anesthesia in your system which also has side effects, you're probably not sleeping well, you aren't able to do  your normal activities, you aren't able to eat normally and probably are getting very few calories right now, you've just made a major change in your life and might be just a little bit stressed out about that....

Who wouldn't be emotional?

It generally evens out in a while.  Just get lots of rest and drink a lot of liquids so you don't get dehydrated and it will help flush the anesthesia out of your system.  Take your pain meds when you need them.  Be gentle with yourself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Loveymae
on 10/30/14 2:22 pm

Great advice offered above so let me just send you an online hug! The first few weeks and months are the hardest so take good care of yourself. It will get better.

SW: 307    

Sarahakers11
on 10/30/14 9:42 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

OH DEAR, I was a hot mess every morning for about 2 weeks!  Week 3 was a big turning point for me.  After the end of week 3 I stopped being as emotional and I mostly felt great!  Let yourself feel what ever it is your feeling.  Reach out.  Goodness knows my poor mom just new at 7:30 am she was gettting a call from me crying my eyes out and she was going to have to talk me through it.  Funny thing she wasnt 100% okay with me having surgery but once it was decided and done she was and still is my biggest supporter!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

yankeescl
on 10/30/14 11:19 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

I also experienced some crazy emotions for a couple of weeks after surgery.  Your world, as you once knew it, has been turned upside down.  Give yourself the time to heal, both physically and emotionally.  It gets much better with time! 

Trouble1391011
on 10/31/14 12:06 am

I was a hormonal bag of mess when I came home... My husband couldn't wait until I got back to "normal"... I started feeling way better at the 2 week mark :)  Hang in there!

joansch
on 10/31/14 4:32 am

I actually got very numb and non-responsive. I walked, sipped water, tried to get protein in, but other than that I was a zombie. I didn't read a book for almost 3 weeks -- my husband thought I was dying, since I normally have a book-a-day habit. But I just couldn't concentrate on anything, and my attention-span was about 10 minutes. Mostly I sat in the recliner, napped, and watched reruns of NCIS and SVU. It got better around the 2 1/2 week mark, and then I had a major meltdown, crying, yelling at my hubby, etc. Then things seemed to go back to semi-normal. At 9 weeks, I'm feeling completely normal.

Your emotions and feelings will be all over the place. Don't judge, just roll with it and know things will get better.

Sending you hugs and best wishes.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Nina1119
on 10/31/14 4:57 am - CA
VSG on 10/22/14

I had surgery 10-22-14, and I definitely have the blues.  I just can't seem to shake it.  I thought I was alone.  I know it's temporary and I have to pray it passes quickly.  It's similar to after delivering my son, I then had the "Baby Blues".

Bubbles314
on 10/31/14 5:29 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

joshie2645,  I was also emotional the first couple of weeks.  It seemed the littlest things made me cry.  I have never been much of a crier.  I walked in the room and saw a Hallmark comercial on TV and burst into tears.  The people I live with would make dinner and I know they have to eat but it made me sad that it smelled so good and I couldn't have it and that made me cry.  Now I laugh at how it didn't make sense.   It won't last forever.  Take it easy and let yourself feel it's ok.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views