Protein shake question

abrannume
on 11/6/14 4:06 am - willingboro, NJ
RNY on 04/04/12

Is there a difference between something like Bariatric Advantage High Protein Meal Replacement and just a regular protein shake?

jefferytmc
on 11/6/14 4:40 am

Yes, mainly it is the quality of the protein.  Now, you do not have to go with BA protein shakes, just make sure you are getting high quality protein.  I was told to use protein isolate drinks, not protein concentrate or other forms of protein.

I liked the IsoPure drinks prior to surgery, but they were too sweet after and I moved to the IsoPure fruit flavored drinks (like gatorade).

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Bibo
on 11/6/14 4:54 am, edited 11/6/14 4:55 am

Some of the meal replacements have vitamins in them also....Bariatric fusion for example, and a medical one that was prescribed and only availble through a doctors office...(Cornerstone)....most of them have protein and flavoring of some kind primarily. If it's a meal replacement, it will have vitamins in it. The two I mentioned have a multi in them already.

I found meal replacements very filling and my doctor said that if I forgot my multi once a month or something that these would be a nice back up. I found them way too sweet, but I drink Unjury,  J Robb, every now and then an Idopure. I blend my steak before I live on shakes. and don't put a lot in it. Mint Choc Chip  fake sugar milk  is not my thing.  Iwas told that I still had to take a multi, but that the meal replacements were more to make sure a person got complete butrition if they couldn't actually eat as much food......They were a little thicker, and I was suprised that they were concentrate instead of isolate. When I asked my doctor he was very gung ho about all the vitamins in it. I know that I dropped from 114, where I had been stable for 8 months, to 97, which is the bottom of my weight limit. I was a bit freaked out.  They had me on meal replacements cause I can't chew due to a broken jaw, and because I have really bad lower GI issues.....However....it is NOT sustainable, and I was disgusted by the taste.  Personally, I think he has a very charismatic shake salesman. From Canada. (that was his support for their wholesome-ness)

I tried two of them per day under doctors orders and was gagging for about two weeks. Finally he let me go back to my Unjury and occasional Isopure..My weight stablilzed in about a week at 114 and have been there since.

Side note, my NUT was saying I should "get over" the need to eat organic, and "deal with" my lower GI stuff first. Well, my GI doc says he can't fix it, they are doing everything, and personally, I believe that when I started eating junk and fake sugar is when I started to get fat in the first place. I told my NUT i was going back to the J Robb and other organic proteins and I have been just fine. blender included.

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/14 4:27 am

At the bottom of this page you will see a Premier Protein click on block. 30 grams of protein in only 11 ounces! I like the vanilla. If it is not locally available they will send it by mail!  

Most Active
Recent Topics