First bite fears

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/14 9:42 am
with

So I have been on clear liquids and a protein shake since surgery last week and I am moving on to yogurt, cottage cheese and a few other items this week.  I am terrified.  I know to start at a teaspoon and slowly during the week move my way up but I am so afraid to do something wrong.  Week 2, how much were you eating?  Did you start at a teaspoon three times a day and move up during the week?  Ack!

poet_kelly
on 11/25/14 10:11 am - OH

Week two I was supposed to eat 1/4 cup of pureed food at a time.  I usually ate about that much, but sometimes a little less if I felt full sooner.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GodsChildII
on 11/25/14 9:00 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Same for me 1/4 cup but it took me two hours to eat 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt! It was more challenging then I thought it would be. I probably eat about 1/4 a cup now (three months out). Take your time and let your stomach be your guide. If all you can comfortably get in is a couple of teaspoons at first, it's okay.

Han Shot First
on 11/25/14 10:15 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Just take it slow and you'll be fine.  You wouldn't be progressing if you weren't ready.  I was around 1/4 cup a meal at that time, and I didn't always fini****

--

150 lost and maintaining!

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/14 11:12 pm
with

Thanks!  Took some first bites today and probably ate two teaspoons of low sugar oatmeal (it is on my plan for this week) over 20 minutes and I feel pretty full.  Lunch will be a few bites of low fat light greek yogurt and dinner will be a few more bites of the yogurt.  Tomorrow to celebrate the holiday, I will have a few bites of loose mashed potatoes and some watered down low sugar cranberry juice..lol.

Trouble1391011
on 11/26/14 4:15 am

Starting week 2 I started with a teaspoon and worked by way to 2 tablespoons.  Week 3 is when I went to no more than 1/4 of a cup :)  It does get easier as the time goes by :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/26/14 4:40 am - OH

1 teaspoon of food three times a day seems pretty extreme, but if that's what your surgeon's plan calls for, then follow it. 

FWIW, I started with 2 to 3 teaspoons of food five times a day when I first started soft foods, and then went up to as much as a quarter cup of food for several weeks after that. My surgeon also had us start in soft foods on Day Three, though.

Your pouch isn't as delicate as many people seem to be led to believe, and you aren't going to damage it by eating two teaspoons instead of one (just as an example), so there is no need to worry excessively, but you should call your surgeon's office and ask.  (S)he should have given you instructions for how to increase your food intake, especially since his/her plan is so restricted to begin with. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/14 5:01 am
with

Oh I don't stay at a teaspoon :) We just start there and work up so we don't overdo it.  They want us at two tablespoons at the end of this week for each meal, so today I did probably close to two teaspoons of yogurt for lunch and then felt satisfied.  Tomorrow I may do a bit more.  Each week we increase our portion size and what we can eat, this week is yogurt, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, grits and cream of wheat.  Next week is eggs, tuna, crackers and toast.  The week after that is almost everything except meat.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views