1 Year Ago Today!

takingcontrolguy
on 12/10/14 3:06 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

I've been waiting all year to celebrate my 1 year "surgiversary" as some on this site refer to it. Well i am happy to report that in spite of the miserable first few weeks i can say with full sincerity that this was the best decision I've made regarding my health other than quitting smoking in 1993. 

I turned 50 years old in august, im a dad of 5 great kids and im blessed with an amazing wife. I now get to be here with them and for them in all new ways. Ive passed my goals, lost 104 pounds, and three doctors have told me i am one of the healthiest patients they have. My labs are good, and i feel great. I tolerate my supplements well and take them every day. I had one complication with a bleeding ulcer back in july but now i know how to avoid and i know what to look for. 

I dont know if its a blessing or a curse but i can eat just about anything in small amounts. I primarily stick to the protein first rule and i eat whatever i want to with it. I have good pouch days and bad pouch days. I adapt. Ive lost my love for sweets. I don't dump but sugar just makes me feel blah so i rarely eat it. I still enjoy spaghetti and meatballs, i just eat the meat first and a few bites of the pasta. I am sure that as my body adjusts there will be more vigilance required about the pasta but i will cross that bridge when i come to it. 

I thank all the people on this site for their stories and advice. I sometimes wish people would be less quick to judge but in the end i believe most on this site are just passionate caring people. Thanks again!

Lady_bugg
on 12/10/14 5:44 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

Congratulations on your success. Love your attitude!

Susanb2117
on 12/10/14 7:41 pm

Congrats!  Great job!!!  thanks for posting, I started at the same weight as you.  I cannot imagine a year out having 100 lb gone but I see it is possible :)  I like that you said you can eat anything because although I am only 2 months out I have had no problem with anything and like you one time I ate a few bites of whole grain pasta with my meatballs and had no problem and was fully satisfied with 2 bites after I had eaten my meatballs.  I hope to not every "try" sweets, I will hang onto that for as long as I can!  I agree this site is so awesome, I have learned so much and always get my questions answered. 

yankeescl
on 12/10/14 11:04 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Congratulations!

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/14 1:30 am - Edmonton, Canada

Congratulations!

jenn1469
on 12/11/14 10:15 am

this is awesome good for you. you will have many years with your family now. be very proud you finally did something for yourself.

Jennifer