I want a bypass but family says sleeve HELP!

crazy4birds
on 12/22/14 1:53 am
RNY on 12/02/14

Hi, my family (except my husband) was and still are totally against my having the surgery.  Even the cardiologist I went to pre op said I didn't need it.  So I cancelled the surgery I had scheduled for last March. A few months ago I found out my A1C was verging on diabetes so I rescheduled the surgery.  The only option for me was RNY since I already have GERD and a hiatal hernia.  I am now 2 weeks post op.  I've had "buyers remorse", especially the 2nd day in the hospital...wishing I had listened to my daughter and just not done it.  Now that I am home and almost healed on the outside I am glad I made this decision.  I am no longer taking my cholesterol meds, and one of my bp meds.  My husband says I am already snoring less and my two week post op the doc said I've lost 23% of my body weight.  I have celiacs disease, which means I can't eat gluten without vomiting so I don't touch the stuff anymore.  I knew the threat of dumping or vomiting was the only thing that was going to stop me from eating sugar/carbs.  I, too have fibro.  I can't say that it is any better but I'm hoping that once I am skinnier I will feel less intimidated about going to the pool and exercising.  I'm trying to stay focused on how things are going to get better and not focus on all the foods I can't eat anymore.  My daughter still comments on how I could have just ate less and/or better and not had major surgery but I think it was because she was just scared for me.  Now that she sees I'm going to be ok she will get over it.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Galleymaid
on 12/22/14 2:10 am

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  I think healthy skinny people just don't understand how painful, mentally and physically for obese people. What's worse for me is every one saw on TV and heard how good the lap band works. But it didn't work for me, so they think nothing will work but starving and work outs. 

Most Active
Recent Topics