When does this pain really go away??

Elegantchic82
on 12/31/14 11:32 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Hi all,

Had rny on mon and wow the pain!! It's mainly on my left side, when does this go away? Have been walking and using gas ex but pain is no joke!! I never knew it would take me a while to drink 2 ounces of any drink.

nicupnorth
on 12/31/14 12:25 pm - Eagle river, WI

I never had any of the gas pain, I had surgery site pain, I am 3 weeks post op and am just now pain free.  Two nights ago I was finally able to sleep on my side!!!!

Elegantchic82
on 12/31/14 12:29 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

To me it doesn't really feel like gas just where I was operated, idk im maintaining but ready to sleep normal I guess

Poodlemac
on 12/31/14 12:44 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I had very little pain except I had some sharp pains on my side when trying to get up or down, or roll over in the bed. Doc said it was normal and to be expected. I think it lasted about 2 weeks. Walking definitely helped with any pain whether it was gas, drinking fluids or eating (a melting Popsicle about took me out day 3!). I still have problems with water 3 mos later :-(

nicupnorth
on 12/31/14 1:15 pm - Eagle river, WI

I agree with the water, I don't know what it is everything else goes down fine, bu****er.

Deana_
on 12/31/14 12:36 pm

Takes about a week I am only 9 days post op. The gas Pain was the worst. Keep walking!!!

Kristine419
on 12/31/14 7:01 pm

The pain is intense, isn't it? I've had three c-sections and didn't experience the level of pain I had with my RNY. I kept thinking "What did I do to myself?!?" It nearly killed me for two weeks and then lingered for about 6 more. Now (nearly 6 months and 60 pounds later), I'm grateful for every second. It's an evil memory at this point. I'm wearing size 6 jeans, no more sleep apnea or diabetes, and the energy to run a small city.

Hang in there! You are early in your journey. It will pass!

Starting Weight 229 (2/2012); Surgery Weight 208 (7/2013); Current Weight 137 (4/28/15); Goal Weight 130

sqlchick19
on 12/31/14 8:33 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

I had mine on 12/15....so I'm 2.5 weeks out.  That left side hurt like crazy.  At first it was constant.  Then about a week out it was a little better in the morning, but by 6pm, I was in bed and on the pain meds from the hospital...especially if I'd walked too much (ie. Went to target for 30 minutes), or was in the sitting position for too long.  Yesterday...I noticed how much better I felt...the pain was still there (going from sitting to standing last night)...but way less.  I haven't had the pain meds for about 5 days.  I still get very tired by 6 pm (I'm usually a night person, so this has been an adjustment).

I have to say that I was completely unprepared for what this recovery was going to be like.  Having had 2 c-sections, back surgery, and a lap band....and knowing how quickly I bounce back...I really thought I'd be "myself" by week 2.  I ended up needing to take the full 2 weeks off from work (and I work from a home office!), and grateful that this third week is really slow and short.

Wishing you less pain every day, and a healthy new year :)

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Poodlemac
on 12/31/14 10:55 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

You poor thing, you've had a tough time!  Here's to a healthy, happy, skinny new year for all of us!!!  And pain free!!

Judi2
on 1/1/15 1:24 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I'm 3.5 weeks out and had continual pain on the left side for the first 2 weeks. I'm feeling much better now. I never had the gas pain it was mainly surgery related.

Most Active
Recent Topics