Can't seem to decide... RNY or VSG?

psych0patra
on 2/19/15 10:45 am - Plattsburgh, NY

I know this is a frequent question here, but...

I'm scouring the internet, YouTube and these posts for something that will tip the scales.  RNY or VSG?  My mother had RNY done over two years ago.  Going in to this, I assumed that I would have the same one done, but now I really don't know.  I've been told to make a list of pros and cons for each, and I have done that, but I still haven't found the thing that solidifies it for me. 

My mother had the RNY done because she had GERD.  I however, do not.  At first, I thought that the threat of dumping syndrome could work in my favor.  I have this puke phobia.  I know I would do what is necessary to avoid vomiting.  But it turns out that dumping doesn't happen with everyone, so I shouldn't  use that as a deciding factor.  Then I read that RNY patients tend to lose their sweet tooths (teeth?).  Then I'm told that can happen with any of the surgeries.  I'm not diabetic.  I don't have high blood pressure. 

I'm posting this in the hope that someone will see this and share something that I don't already know.  I could have my surgery as early as next month, but I've apparently gotten in my own way. 

Thanks in advance.

glamlamb
on 2/19/15 2:16 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

it's obviously your personal choice, but so many people i've told about my having bariatric surgery, from friends to doctors, have said, "oh good, the sleeve! it's supposed to be the best." i do think it is the best of both worlds: not as body-altering/invasive as RNY, more effective than lap band.

angel91e
on 2/19/15 3:44 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I went through having much the same question run through my head. I was concerned about not being able to take NSAIDs after RNY but wanted the extra help from the malabsorption that it brought to the table. I finally did go ahead with a RNY rather than the sleeve and I haven't regretted it. Since losing the weight I have no real need any longer for the daily doses of NSAIDs. I think so much of that is a very personal choice but I was really glad of the calorie malabsorption during my weight loss journey.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be great

Angel 

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

selhard
on 2/19/15 7:06 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Friendly suggestions:  1.  take your list of pros and cons to multiple medical professionals and ask for their opinion  2.  know it's okay to change your mind which type or, more importantly, if you want WLS at all.

Ocalasam
on 2/19/15 9:38 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I had RNY 2 years ago.  I do not dump and did not lose my sweet tooth.  I lost 145 pounds.  I know several people personally that had the sleeve and they never made it to goal and have gained.  This can happen with either surgery, but the ones I know personally that had the sleeve did not lose as much.  You do have to take vitamin supplements for the rest of your life with RNY and can't take NSAIDS forever, which can be a big deal for some.  Good luck!

Maria27
on 2/19/15 10:02 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I personally just do not have as much confidence in the sleeve. Do we really know the long terms effects? The effects of RNY are much more studied and documented. I'm not even sure that the sleeve produces the same beneficial physiological changes. What are the comparison stats for keeping the weight off long term? What effect does removing a portion of your stomach from your body have? The hormones produced there do more than just make you feel hungry. I feel that there are just too many unanswered questions with the sleeve, and I do not want to undergo a surgery with this much uncertainty. The medical community has had many many years to perfect the process and recommendations for RNY. This is just my opinion, and I understand that other people feel different.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/20/15 5:16 pm - OH

I have seen several studies that show that the weight loss is comparable (with a slight edge to RNYers) by 2 years out (one study did not loo****il 3 years out), but -- most importantly -- that by 5-7 years out, what matters FAR more than surgery was how compliant people were with maintaining their new, healthy eating habits, NOT which surgery they had. Short term, RNYers have an advantage; long term they are equally likely to succeed OR fail. 

You are absolutely correct that VSG doesn't have the physiological changes that the bypass has, but MANY of the physiological changes of the bypass are not beneficial: being more prone to kidney stone and reactive hypoglycemia, plus lack of vitamin absorption. There are no extensive studies on "complications" of the sleeve precisely because it doesn't alter your body's normal functioning... It simply makes your stomach smaller.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

karenp8
on 2/19/15 10:04 pm - Brighton, IL

I was worried too about not being able to take NSAIDS because I had had RA for 30 years and been on them daily for most of that time,but because I had dieted my whole life and was 52 my metabolism was shot. Working with a dietitian for 3 months on a 1200 calorie diet and exercising 30 minutes a day I lost 3 pounds. I needed the malabsorption of RNY to get my journey started. I had surgery 30 months ago and have lost 145 pounds. I have been maintaining at this weight for over 20 months. I have not needed NSAIDS and my joint pain,high blood sugars,high cholesterol,high triglycerides and high blood pressure are all gone. I am finally living an active healthy life and am thankful every day for my decision.

Eggface
on 2/20/15 10:41 am, edited 2/20/15 1:40 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Best wishes with your research. 

I had RNY.

I can count on my fingers how many times I have puked or suffered a dumping syndrome episode. 

No complications. 

All co morbidities resolved... high BP, severe GERD, sleep apnea.

I think I kind of like sweet things more post-op but satisfy them in a pretty safe way... last night it was 4 strawberries with homemade NSA chocolate whipped cream. 

Farther and farther out I get I am realizing... long term success rates have more to do with the work we do above the neck than how our guts are rearranged ;) IMHO... anyway...

Hope you are ecstatic with your choice whatever it ends up being! Best gift I ever gave myself.

~Michelle "Shelly" 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/20/15 5:18 pm - OH

It isn't just your opinion, Shelly... Several studies have shown that by 5-7 years out, it matters very little whether people had VSG or RNY.  Their compliance with healthy eating is a far more significant determinant of weight maintenance than surgery type.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 499 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 289 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 344 views