I have gained 25lbs back from being on Zoloft.

Laura121
on 3/3/15 11:07 am - IL
RNY on 06/14/12

I'm so depressed. I have no support from my family. I just keep being reminded that I have gained weight and something needs to change! Like I don't know that. I just want support and someone that I can talk to about my problems. I don't want to go back to where I was before. #feeling discouraged

Doingrightin2015
on 3/3/15 6:37 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

Come here for support. Coming here is a good start. Get back to basic's. Pull all the things out from the start of the journey and get back to basics. Make yourself accountable if you have to post here to everyone what you are eating and drinking everyday.  remember this is a tool, it's not magic....we got to work with it to make it work. Have you went back to eating the old ways? Do you have any WLS support groups close to you that you can join?

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

siberiancat
on 3/4/15 2:27 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
siberiancat
on 3/4/15 2:28 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
siberiancat
on 3/4/15 2:28 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

There are some medications that may increase or decrease appetite or make water retention in the body - but what you eat is your choice.

I'm 6 years post RNY and I'm keeping a daily diary (written) of calories, grams of carbs, grams of protein and ounces of fluid.  I do this for a month about twice a year.

It is easy to slip into old eating patterns without realizing that your calorie or carb intake is too much and weight gain occurs.

You need to take charge of you - no one else is responsible for what you put into your mouth.

By writing down every bite you can see if you are eating food with no nutrition and see if you are meeting the requirements of your bariatric program.  Come to this board for support - but many of us "old timers" won't except excuses or rationalizations.  Been there - done that!!

I urge you to get some therapy/counseling for depression if you aren't doing do.  You can "feel" discouraged but it is what you "do" with those feelings that is important.

I wish you the best.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

uwouldbesoprettyifulo
st50lbs

on 3/4/15 10:11 pm
RNY on 01/02/15

Ok. So, you've gained weight. You know you've got to change your ways. As with every cliche under the sun, it didn't happen overnight. So... it's not going to go away overnight.

One of the possible side effects with an SSRI is weight gain. If you need to assign blame, it is possible to blame the Zoloft. If you really feel this is the culprit, you need to talk to your PCP or whomever manages your medications and talk about other SSRIs or alternatives to Zoloft with a lower possible percentage of weight gain as a side effect. Remember, possible side effects don't happen to everyone.

But, in agreement with the lady above, even though the drug may cause an increased appetite, only you are responsible for what you put in your mouth. DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP. Being accountable is not easy, especially when you feel like everyone is not backing you up.

There is some lady that posts frequently and she has a great tag line with her signature - it says something about falling down and getting back up... You can do it. You want to succeed. Look at how much weight you've lost. You're already a success. Just put the gain behind you and think about what you need to do today and tomorrow to get back on track.

One day at a time... tell yourself- when you're hungrier than normal, have a bigger drink, go for a walk, go for a drive and rock out by yourself... anything to move on to the next hour of the day. I can validate your feelings of discouragement, but you need to move forward. There are people who are routing for you, even if they don't know you.

Amy R.
on 3/5/15 11:54 am

Hang in there.  I had re-gained around 40lbs, re-lost 40+ last year and then was put on Abilify.  I gained 22lbs in five weeks.  At first I thought some of it might have been fluid retention, then I realized I was always hungry and had started grazing again. I weigh every day so I looked back to when the re-re-gain started and it was within a week of being put on Abilify.

When I went back to my psychiatrist, he was nice enough to tell me that weight gain was a well known side effect of this med.  Why he didn't think to say something before, knowing my weight history as he does, is beyond me.  He took me off the Abilify.  I did stop gaining, but now find  myself having to re-lost the weight AGAIN.  

I am extremely frustrated with myself  because although Abilify is known to cause weight gain, I was willingly putting extra food in my mouth yet AGAIN without paying enough attention. I wish I'd known the side effect prior to taking it - but that doesn't change the fact that nobody forced me to eat.  My sweet tooth was absolutely out of control and that should have been a huge red flag to me since I dump horribly and have RH so rarely usually eat sweets.  

Live and learn I guess is what I'm saying.  Since I lost the regain before I know how to do it again: protein first, veggies, fruits, small amounts of carbs (preferably complex ones).  It's just taking a really long time to come off.  That seems to be the norm after the honeymoon period though.

Try not to be too discouraged.  Just go back to the RnY eating plan.  You'll take it back off again, it just takes longer to come off than it seems to take to put on =)