Pain in collarbone area after eating?

pammiv
on 3/12/15 2:24 am, edited 3/12/15 2:25 am

I have a question for everyone - sometimes when I am eating, I get a terrible sharp pain up by my shoulder blade.  For example - last night I was having a small piece of shreaded meat (just a bite) and shallowed.  About 10 seconds later I had a horrible pain in my left shoulder area.  Now I may have not chewed enough or maybe what I was eating just didn't agree with me? I have had beef and chicken with no problems as at all.

When I was in the hospital two days after my surgery, I sipped water and got the same pain.  The doctor thought I might have had a blood clot in my lungs (which I didn't thank goodness) but since my surgery, I have always had this same pain while eating or drinking on occasion.  I thought it was my body telling me I was eating too much at first but it started in the hospital with water?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated so I can avoid whatever it is I am doing... 

Thank you!

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Kathy S.
on 3/12/15 3:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I honestly can say I have not heard of this.  Maybe someone else has. If your surgeon mentioned a possible cause could be a blood clot, I would call the office and let them know you are still experience this just to be on the safe side.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

pammiv
on 3/12/15 3:47 am, edited 3/12/15 3:48 am

In the hospital - the surgeon ruled out a blood clot and thought it was gas passed from the surgery but I still get it now.  I have noticed it is usually when I am eating too fast or something I have not eaten in awhile.  It does not hurt in my tummy but in my shoulder area on one side?

ladygodiva1228
on 3/12/15 3:57 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Look up vagus nerve.  I know when I had my band if I ate to fast, to much or got something stuck my left collar bone would ache until the food passed. 

pammiv
on 3/12/15 5:55 am

It sounds dangerous on line!  what did you do to work through it?

ladygodiva1228
on 3/12/15 6:33 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I watched how and what I ate.  I also used a heating pad on my shoulder and stomach.  That is what helped me.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

pammiv
on 3/12/15 5:29 am

Thank you!  I googled it and read some scary stuff.  I am going to see the surgeon in the next two weeks and I will mention this to him - not sure what is going on, but I definately need to figure it out.  Did you have this and is do - how did you get it resolved?

Thanks again!