Revision

Jarrett
on 3/15/15 2:29 am

I had Gastric Stapling in1984 and was very successful. In 2001 I started gaining weight. Now my weight is 290 😢 with this weight I meet criteria for surgery. My question is since the Gastric Stapling was successful, can I get them same surgery again? I am 54 years old now Also the weight above is documented with my PCP, if I lose some weight and go below the criteria BMI will the earlier weight still meet criteria? By losing weight- walking .. Thank You

Grim_Traveller
on 3/15/15 9:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think the only way to have that procedure again is if you invent a time machine first. There is a reason it isn't done anymore.

I would see a good surgeon, one who specializes in revisions. Have them get some good images and a scope so they know what's going on inside. Because of your already altered anatomy and possible scar tissue and adhesions, there may be certain surgeries that you should or should not have. It's best not to get your mind set on a particular surgery yet. Let the docs recommend what you need.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/15/15 11:29 am - OH

What Grim said.  The gastric stapling you had previously may limit your options for one of the current weight loss surgeries, and it is likely that whatever surgeon you choose (be SURE it is one who has experience with revisions) will need to do some type of imaging to see exactly what your current anatomy looks like.

Unfortunately, no one here is going to be able to answer this question for you, especially since different surgeons did slightly different versions of the stapling procedure.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics