Have my surgery date!

spatch
on 4/19/15 12:47 am

My surgery is scheduled for May 7th and I started my pre-op diet today.  This is my first time posting a topic on a forum..I've only "lurked" in the past.  I decided today that it was time to join the group and have an additional support resource.  My husband is waiting to get his surgery date currently.  We started this journey June 2015 and have finally satisfied all of the requirements.  Taking this step is certainly not for the faint of heart!

dJean
on 4/20/15 9:34 am
RNY on 05/07/15

Congratulations! I just got the call today that my insurance approved my surgery and the date is also set for May 7th! We'll be WLS twins!

spatch
on 4/21/15 6:58 am

That's terrific!  Nice to have a twin.  Where are you?  I'm Susan and I live in Vermont.  Are you excited, nervous, scared or all of these?  It would be great to hear how you're doing.  How's your pre-op diet?

dJean
on 4/21/15 7:29 am
RNY on 05/07/15

Hi Susan, I'm Donna. I'm in Tennessee. Right now I'm excited! I started getting all of m requirements done in February and have been nonstop ever since. Used up all of my vacation days on running from one doctor to the next so I haven't really had time to get nervous yet. I'm sure that will come. I'm just thrilled to finally have a date! How about you? 

I lived in Vermont when I was a kid. In fact my brother was born there in Burlington I think. I don't really remember it. I think I was about 3 or 4 when we moved. 

My pre-op diet is going ok. Mine seems to be a bit more lenient than some that I've read about. I a protein shake or bar for breakfast and lunch. A fruit for snack 4 times a day. 3 oz. of lean meat and all the veggies I want. I can even have 6 saltines a day. It's like a feast compared to some of the liquid diet nightmares I've heard about! How is yours?

spatch
on 4/22/15 7:07 am

Breakfast has been 2 eggs, light English muffin, and a slice of lowfat cheese.  Best meal of the day!  Snacks are greek yogurt, berries, lowfat cottage cheese, string cheese.  Lunch is a protein drink and fruit.  Dinner is 3 oz of lean meat, fish, or chicken.  1 Cup of vegetables and 1/2 cup of potato, starchy veggies, or rice.

I'm excited also.  I was so against this for many years.  I kept saying that I could do it myself.  My doctor finally said, so what's stopping you?  I feel like these years have been preparation for this time.  I just wasn't ready before.  So no looking back! 

We live in Springfield which is in the southern part of the state.  My husband is waiting now to get his surgery date.  I think it will help that we are doing it together.

My husband used to be the National Guard and has been through Tennessee several times.  He says that the land is beautiful and has often talked about going back.

It's great to talk with you!  Hope to hear from you often as we are sharing this journey!

dJean
on 4/22/15 10:08 am
RNY on 05/07/15

Wow! looks like you got a generous pre-op diet as well. Breakfast sounds awesome! Nice to have your hubby to help you through this. I think it would be more difficult if you had to make full meals for someone else while you were trying to go through this! I only have myself to cook for as well...so that helps. My daughter and granddaughter live with me...but they cook for themselves. So I'll just have to deal with the smell. I've heard that smelling food cooking after surgery can cause nausea. So I'll have to figure that all out. I hope we do stay in touch! I can use all the encouragement I can get. And I'll be glad to cheer you on as well!