Almost regretting the surgery

jackieboy331
on 5/5/15 1:53 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

i thought everything was going well. They took out the catheter this morning. They said I have to pee on my own. I did but the doctor said it was not enough. So he just put in another catheter. Ouch. A lot of urine came out. He said we will see in the morning based on the out put and if I will be able to pee enough on my own. I don't understand if I haven't been able to drink from Sunday until 3 pm today and I can only drink 1 ounce every 20 minutes how the heck am I supposed to pee enough?  He said from the intravenous I should be able to. Can anybody help me with this issue? Thanks. 

cspotrun
on 5/5/15 2:08 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I think I remember reading that the anesthesia can sort of put your organs to sleep and it takes a while for them to wake up and fully operate. I know I've read of people who had to have the cath put back in and all was fine. You'll probably be good to go in the morning. They didn't even take mine out until the second morning. 

Karen   

crazy4birds
on 5/5/15 2:13 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I had the same issue...the day after surgery they took the cath out.  I went all day without peeing and they came in and did a sonogram of my bladder and said if I didn't pee I would have to be straight cath'd.  Well they had to straight cath me 3 times thru the night.  The next morning I was supposed to go home and they said I couldn't until I emptied my bladder and they gave me a bag of something intravenous to fill me with fluids.  Then they told me they were going to re cath me and send me home with the bag taped to my leg.  They did tell me that in some people the pain meds makes your bladder freeze up just like it stops your bowels from working.  I did finally start peeing but they still wouldn't let me go home until the sonogram came back that my bladder was empty, which was around 3 in the afternoon and 4 before they got transport to my room to wheel chair me out.  I was at Stanford Hospital which put me going through San Francisco over the Golden Gate bridge right at rush hour traffic, and of course, while stuck in traffic on the bridge I had to pee.  lol

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 5/5/15 3:19 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

To put it in perspective I gained 18 lbs from the IV's while in the hospital.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Jessca
on 5/5/15 4:10 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

My surgeons don't put in catheters because the surgeries are so quick now. Mine was 1 hour total. BUT even so that day after surgery and the next day I did feel like my bladder was not communicating very well. Normally my bladder doesn't hold much and I have to pee frequently. But after surgery the urge to pee wouldn't come on until it was practically an emergency and then it took a conscious effort to actually start peeing and the amount was a lot more than normal. So yeah that anesthesia messes with things. I hope you get back on track soon!

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

christinerocks
on 5/6/15 4:09 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I gained 14 pounds from fluids while in the hospital.  You're not drinking much at first but you are full of fluids that have to come out! I was able to pee about 4 hours after my catheter came out but it wasn't a lot.  Just before they were ready to sonogram me, boom!  I hit the pee pee jackpot, relatively speaking at least. It took a while for normal urination to kick in but it all works out.  No reason to regret your surgery - you hit the jackpot my friend! Believe it. Be patient - and Welcome to the losers bench!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

jackieboy331
on 5/6/15 4:19 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks I can't wait for that to happen

Poodlemac
on 5/6/15 6:08 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I didn't have a catheter either, but I remember, vividly, the flood gates opened day 3 just before I left the hospital. I don't believe I have EVER gone so much!  It was crazy!!  Be patient. You'll be fine. 

jackieboy331
on 5/6/15 6:33 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks I hope so

jackieboy331
on 5/6/15 6:34 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks I hope so

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?