Does anyone not frequently weigh?

GoDawgs1979
on 5/14/15 6:46 am

I am pre-op for RNY, but not new to WLS as I have a lap band.  I plan on having a revision in the next couple of months.

A pretty common theme for me and for others seems to be frequently weighing and then freaking out when there is a brief stall.  I know for me, that leads to frustration and sometimes saying f-it, it's hopeless, so I'm going to eat some ice cream.  

I know the reality, especially after RNY, is that the weight will come off if I do what I'm supposed to do.  I'm considering weighing only once a month or once every other week, so long as I am strictly sticking to my diet and exercising.  

For those who are post op, what are your thoughts on this?  Ridiculous or a good idea?  I'm thinking it would be nice to just focus on diet and exercise, and getting healthy, instead of obsessing with the number on the scale.

auntmimi
on 5/14/15 7:43 am

I found out that weighing everyday was something I obsessed about. In the beginning, during my "pre-op diet phase" I didnt take my measurements. I did a month after my surgery. By that point I was already obsessing over every pound. When I went thru my first stall it really made me go into panic mode, until I read on here about checking your measurements. I was losing inches not pounds. Now, I weigh weekly and pay attention to if my pants feel a little more snug. The hardest part of this journey has been with the battle in my head, not my plate. Good luck to you! 

yankeescl
on 5/14/15 8:26 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I started the program on a Friday and have weighed myself each Friday since then.  I have never weighed in between, unless I was at a doctor's appointment.  Best of luck!

emelar
on 5/14/15 8:31 am - TX

Post-op, I only weighed in at the doc's office once a quarter until I stopped losing, hit goal, decided I'd had enough, whatever you want to call it.  Scales make me crazy.  I pay attention to how my clothes are fitting now.  As long as they fit comfortably, I'm good.  When they start feeling a little tight, I cut back on calories until they feel good again.

Laura in Texas
on 5/14/15 11:10 am

If you think the scale is going to drive you crazy, then don't weigh. Once you get to maintenance I highly recommend weighing every so often to make sure you are on track. Or use a pair of well fitted pants with NO stretch to use as your guide. I am amazed at the number of people who have posted over the years who are in denial about their regain until they FINALLY weigh themselves and are shocked that they have regained 50 pounds. 5 pounds is easier to lose than 50.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ecm1109
on 5/14/15 12:57 pm

At my one month follow-up appt, the psychologist told me the only way to avoid a "stall" was to not step on the scale.  She strongly recommended that I get rid of my scale and only weigh at the doctors office.  I did get rid of the scale.  If it was killing me to know my weight, I would weigh in at the gym.  That worked for me.  I am getting near maintenance (probably the next 4-5 months) and then I will probably weigh in weekly just to keep on track. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/14/15 2:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Not weighing myself was a keen strategy I employed to become morbidly obese.  For me, I need the accountability.  I know that it's easy to pretend that I am not gaining or still losing if I don't weigh myself.  

I weigh every day.  That's what works for me.  To each his own.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kathyjs
on 5/14/15 4:54 pm

I would weigh before and after I peed. I do not  advise this but I threw my scale away. I wear a size 8 blue jeans, that was my goal. Fast forward 12 years I looked at the scale at doctor for first time in years. I had to go back today and I was 5 pounds heavier in 24 !!! Hours??? My first reaction was to eat. Then I took a deep breath and zipped up my pants. Numbers drive me nuts

aesposito
on 5/15/15 8:04 am

I have weighed every Monday since surgery nearly 4 years ago.  More frequently than that, I would go nuts with every little water shift. 

Even seeing variations on the scale at the doctor's office on non-Mondays gives me fits....

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.