Low blood sugar

Lily2
on 5/30/15 4:41 am

im just home from the hospital yesterday and took my blood sugar this morning it was 53.  Should I be concerned??  The 3 days in the hospital my bs was monitored every 4 hours with it never going below 70, now im home and this happens. What to do???

_Karen
on 5/30/15 5:58 am - Clearwater, FL

call your Dr they will have a Dr on call if you call today

Lily2
on 5/30/15 6:28 am

I did drink a small amount of OJ which brought my BS level up to 72.  Calling my Doctor now

bubbosmama
on 5/30/15 3:08 pm - Canada

I am hypoglycemic and use a glycometer.  My surgeon told me that no need to worry unless under 4.  I consider anything above 5 without having just eaten a dream.  After meal readings should be between 6 and 10.  Call your clinic if you are worried, maybe there is a difference between the units of measurement we are talking about as I am in Canada and you are in the US?

Lily2
on 5/30/15 3:31 pm

Thanks for responding.  I called my Doctor after drinking some OJ and she said that anything under 4 is when I should worry.  Frustrating because Im told so many different numbers on when to panic! I just came home last night from my RNY and the whole time in hospital they kept close tabs on my BS.  I had an IV in the entire time and I do believe there was some sugar component to that IV.  So off to find an Endo doc on monday that knows something about bariatric patients and how to treat them.

bubbosmama
on 5/30/15 4:14 pm - Canada

They do check all the basics and an IV is standard post surgery as you cannot eat, drink, etc and your body has just been completely rerouted and is in shock.  Do what you can to put your mind at ease, as the stress of thinking about all the possibilities of what could be wrong, could be worse on our bodies than the things we worry about.  All the best on your journey,

Nitayoung
on 5/31/15 12:01 pm

I am also hypoglycemic. I am very happy to report to you and hopefully give you some comfort that I have not had ONE SINGLE episode of low blood sugar since my RNY on March 27, 2015!! Hang in there.

Nita <3

Lily2
on 5/31/15 5:13 pm

Thank you for responding.  I am not hypoglycemic, I am a diabetic who just had RNY.  Hopefully in remission

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views