Discomfort /pain under right side of ribs

Wirick27
on 6/6/15 7:22 am, edited 6/6/15 7:56 am

I am three yrs out of rny. Up to now I have had no medical issues. Then last week I started having a discomfort/stolen feeling under the right side of my rib cage. It would also get a rolling movement feeling, very weird (only similar feeling I can describe is when you are very pregnant and the baby moves - this I am not, and wrong location) slight pains and cramping come and go..but nothing major. Though something is not right. I went to my dr who said maybe gullstones, but the ultrasound asked nothing abnormal, the only thing they saw was a slightly fatty liver, which as I have a pretty low fat diet due to fatty/greasy foods make me sick and I tend to stay away from them, surprised me. I take no meds, have never had a cholesterol issue or any other issue that they say can cause the fatty liver. I'm concerned that there is something going on with my liver or gallbladder...anyone had similar symptoms?

Karen518
on 6/6/15 7:50 am

Not all gallbladder issues show up on ultrasound.  It you keep having symptoms, they will probably want to order further tests.  I am also 3 years out with one complications.  I have had similarsymptomsacoup,softies and they have never found out why.  It has alwYs resolved on its own.  Hope they find you relief.  It the pain gets bad, go to the ER. It's easiest to detect gallbladder problems when it's actively causing symptoms.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/15 6:40 am

Fatty liver is not caused by fat, but by eating too many carbs, fructose, drinking or too many tylenols. 

GB maybe swollen, enlarged, and if you don't eat enough fat ~ it may be accumulating too much bile, not releasing t ~ creating "sludge"(thick bile) in your GB. 

Initially, after RNY, i did not get enough fat in my diet, and i ended up with that issue. I needed surgery too remove GB. 

You may need a HIDA scan ~ to check how well your works.

Also ~ make sure you are not constipated.  I deal with that, and even having daily BM (not complete) can eventually lead to getting backed up....(talking from experiance) . i developed IBS-C. (Not fun). 

Now i take Miralax every morning , and i take magnesium oxide (400-800mg) at night. So far my combination works very well... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathyjs
on 6/7/15 9:31 am

No stones showed up on my ultrasound but it was definitely my gallbladder. Very common after RNY

brandito
on 6/8/15 7:50 am

I have had the same issue and it's not constant. Sometimes I feel it and sometimes I don't. My surgeon has had me on pills to break up gallstones as a regular practice so I wonder if they're starting to develop, I have that feeling, and then the meds go to work and I don't feel it again for a while. You described it perfectly...I tell people it feels like a baby foot is in my ribs. LOL

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!

Most Active
Recent Topics