At what point did you stop getting rid of clothes that are too big?

Susanb2117
on 6/21/15 4:28 am

It has been so fun to go down a size and get rid of clothes that are too big through this process.  But once I hit a size 12 which is smaller than I have ever been in my adult life, I started to struggle with getting rid of things.  I am now a size 8 and still have the 10s and 12s.  I keep thinking I should keep them just in case I regain some when the weight loss stops... I just can't wrap my head around being anything less than a 12 because I can't ever remember being this small.  Do you think I think it is bad juju to hold on to a few sizes in case I regain some, or is it practical?  Anyone else have this issue as they got close to their goal?????  Thanks for you input :)

Navychic
on 6/21/15 6:07 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Im facing this same dilemma right now.  Im just in a 12 and its amazing!!!  I think ive resolved my plan of action on this, because a friend of mine is about to go on the same journey, so as I left those 14's behind im putting them in a plastic tub and will give them to her when the time is right.  My only issue now is I am slowing down losing, but not stopping and I really need to stop buying 12's.  Its so much fun to shop, and im doing most of it at thrift stores, but even those can get expensive in the qtys im buying.  I have 20+ outfits...im saying this because I'm trying to convince myself...  I really think it goes back to what you said in your post, I can't wrap my head around being anything less than this so its hard to commit to a lower size. 

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

cspotrun
on 6/21/15 6:31 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I'm in an 8 and saved my 10s just in case.

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/21/15 6:55 am

I am 7 years post op. Now I wear 6-8-10. depends on style, and how it is cut. At one time I got down to 4s. 

Size 12 was my original goal. But now is is "no larger than 10". Initially I keeps some 12a. The ones I really liked.  But now I don't anymore.  Some 10s I used after my plastics (I was swollen), some I still wear on days I need more "lose fit with lots of comfort". 

If you plan to keep some 12s and 10's - just put them into bags and put then in boxes for storage. 

I gained 20 lbs at one time (too much steroids, too much food) and was able to have clothes that fit when I was losing the regain. 

Regain (temporary I hope) can happen to all of us. If keeping the clothes. Would make you feel better - do it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

selhard
on 6/21/15 7:00 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The Center for Weight Management classes warned to expect a small rebound after hitting the lowest weight.  I have experienced a 12 pound rebound with panic despite the warning.  How about get rid of the 12's and keep your favorite pieces of the 10's if you experience any rebound?  A truck driver in our WLS support group says he can't bring himself to buy anything smaller than a 2X even though he knows he's become much smaller than a 2X.  He stood up to show us his shirt he just bought that hung on him like a potato sack. Wrapping our heads around stuff-----you are not alone.

White Dove
on 6/21/15 8:49 am - Warren, OH

The military will burn the bridge that they have crossed over so that the enemy cannot use it to catch up with them.  Too big clothes are bridges.  Get rid of them and you will have less opportunity to go back to being heavy.  I started with size 22.  I got rid of each size immediately when I could wear something smaller.

I had a rebound where my size 4's did not fit and I had to buy 6's.  I have gotten rid of those 6's and kept the 4's. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Susanb2117
on 6/21/15 9:45 am

Wow! Awesome analogy.  It really resonates with me, thanks for sharing.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/21/15 10:48 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On June 21, 2015 at 8:49 AM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

The military will burn the bridge that they have crossed over so that the enemy cannot use it to catch up with them.  Too big clothes are bridges.  Get rid of them and you will have less opportunity to go back to being heavy.  I started with size 22.  I got rid of each size immediately when I could wear something smaller.

I had a rebound where my size 4's did not fit and I had to buy 6's.  I have gotten rid of those 6's and kept the 4's. 

So eloquently put -- and I love the analogy.  Thank you.  I use your wisdom a lot -- and I want you to know how much I appreciate you.

TO THE OP -- I am currently in a size 8 on the bottom and small in tops -- I have gotten rid of all the 12's and have kept some of the smaller 10's for bloated days -- but I intend to get smaller than an 8  -- thus once I start going down a bit more, I will get rid of those, too. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

White Dove
on 6/21/15 8:17 pm - Warren, OH

Thanks Kat.  I could tell from the first times you posted on these boards that you have the attitude to be successful.  Glad to see that I was right about that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Racewalker48
on 6/21/15 9:21 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I also considered holding on the larger sizes for the reasons you described.  Now, I only have in my closet clothes that fit.  I don't want to give myself permission to gain weight and have clothes on standby just in case.   I am currently, depending on the designer, and 2-4-6 or a S-M-L. I had a few favorite clothes that were a little too big, I took them to a tailor and had them altered.  I donated or consigned the rest.