Foods

rebecca B.
on 6/25/15 12:47 pm - LA

I'm one month out of surgery and I'm wondering what are the best foods to be eating right now? Also is it ok to eat peanut butter?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/15 1:22 pm - OH

Did your surgeon not give you any post-op meal guidelines??

The problem is that it varies quite a bit from one surgeon to another. There is no universal postop eating plan. Some people are just starting solid food by a month out while other people are cleared for most items that are not hard to digest by then. So what my surgein's plan called for may be very different than what your surgeon recommends.

I think it's pretty safe to say that peanut butter at a month out probably isn't on your surgeons plan, though. The amount of fat peanut butter is incredibly high, and although it has protein, the protein-calorie ratio isn't good. You shouldn't have any trouble tolerating it (unless you a very sensitive to fat content as a few people are), but it isn't a very good choice.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rebecca B.
on 6/25/15 1:27 pm - LA

Yes they have me a guideline list but I was just wondering how everyone differed. They don't have me eating very much though I feel I could tolerate more than what on the list I won't try until I'm allowed too. It's just rough cooking food for others and watching them eat but not being able to enjoy the food with them anymore . you know....

Kathyjs
on 6/25/15 2:27 pm

Welcome to your new life.  Saying you feel you could tolerate more is a red flag waving. Follow what YOUR surgeon told you. 

rebecca B.
on 6/25/15 2:31 pm - LA

Will do. I will follow everything the Dr says and do everything I can to make this work.

Stacy C.
on 6/25/15 5:54 pm

I'm a month out and on what my doctor calls soft food, pretty much anything besides raw veggies and stake. I do a lot of hotdishes and eggs. The other day a bun-less hamburger and baked beans, that was a treat. I stay away from breads, rice and starches. So far so good.

The Salty Hag
on 6/25/15 6:35 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Jus****ch the sugar content on the baked beans. When I was about a year out, I stupidly had some baked beans at a restaurant without checking their nutrition info...I was a very unhappy camper for about a half hour or so afterwards. There was tooo much sugar in them and it made me want to die.

I made my own baked beans using sugar free maple syrup in the sauce I made. They turned out pretty well. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

kim_pei
on 6/25/15 6:54 pm - Canada

Hi I am a month out too....I follow the diet given to me....basically no red meats, raw fruit or veg yet....breakfasts are scrambled or poached eggs....oatmeal... 1/2 c bran flakes.....lunches are protein  and some cooked veg...snacks are anything from a few whole wheat crackers with peanut butter to applesauce or yogurt.....and suppers are lean fish or chicken with nice veg...I am allowed a little potato or rice but I find it is heavy yet to me. I can eat a half of a banana now I am still new to the eating thing but i stick to whats recommended except for the breads I dont tolerate them and the protein and veg are far more important right now.  I still like soups for dinner as well and try to keep things as healthy as possible..  I know everyone is different buy slow and steady...measure everything and get your protein and water in everyday!   congrats!....Kim

rebecca B.
on 6/26/15 2:14 am - LA

The only protein the Dr suggested for me was shakes and bars. But I can eat an egg with cheese for breakfast, I eat a banana or cheese stick for snack, protein shake for lunch, yogurt or sf pudding for snack and beans or something for dinner. Does it sound like I'm doing ok. I just don't want to over do it and swell my stomach back out then ruin my surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics