Artificial Sweetener Question

Susanb2117
on 7/10/15 12:12 pm

The artificial sweetener I use (Nectresse) has been discontinued.  I use it for coffee - 1 cup in the morning- (1/4 tsp) and in my plain greek yogurt (1/2 tsp) with cocoa powder, vanilla and strawberries or other fruit.  I bought Truvia and it is giving me horrible gas pains any time I try to use it.  Any ideas on a sweetener I can use?  Should I just try a very small amount of plain old sugar?  I don't know how that would go over after RNY and I am not sure if we are just supposed to say NO to any amount of sugar...   The two things I listed (coffee/yogurt) are the only things I would really hate to give up and I need a small amount of sweetener for them.  Any suggestions or ideas?

ChadShaft
on 7/10/15 12:23 pm

Does Slenda not agree with you? I eat things made with and have never really had any issues myself.

SandieMc49
on 7/10/15 12:42 pm
On July 10, 2015 at 12:12 PM Pacific Time, Susanb2117 wrote:

The artificial sweetener I use (Nectresse) has been discontinued.  I use it for coffee - 1 cup in the morning- (1/4 tsp) and in my plain greek yogurt (1/2 tsp) with cocoa powder, vanilla and strawberries or other fruit.  I bought Truvia and it is giving me horrible gas pains any time I try to use it.  Any ideas on a sweetener I can use?  Should I just try a very small amount of plain old sugar?  I don't know how that would go over after RNY and I am not sure if we are just supposed to say NO to any amount of sugar...   The two things I listed (coffee/yogurt) are the only things I would really hate to give up and I need a small amount of sweetener for them.  Any suggestions or ideas?

I tried several sweeteners and find that Splenda tastes the best and gives me no side effects like others do,  You probably have to experiment and see which agrees with you.  The way I remember which sweetener I use is "Splenda is splendid"!

Susanb2117
on 7/10/15 1:33 pm

Thanks ladies, I will give Splenda a try! 

Maria27
on 7/10/15 3:46 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Have you looked for plain stevia? Truvia is stevia mixed with other additives. It is probably the additives that are the problem. Plain stevia is widely considered the best zero calorie sweetener. It's not actually an artificial sweetener. Truvia is an inferior version. Splenda is my second choice when stevia is not available.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Susanb2117
on 7/10/15 4:22 pm

I have not looked for plain stevia.  Would the grocery store sell it?  Under a different name or would it just be stevia?

Maria27
on 7/10/15 5:13 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

It's not a brand, so it is sold by many different companies. But it should specify that the product contains stevia or stevia leaf extract. What you don't want is other things added to it, which is how Truvia is made. You may have to go to a store like whole foods to find it. I've found it at Trader Joe's before. Otherwise you can order it from Amazon. I bought it in super concentrated power form, and it has lasted me years.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

DanaDenise
on 7/12/15 10:30 pm

I use Stevia as well.  It is more expensive than Splenda, but I made the change long before surgery because it is all natural, not made in a laboratory!  I like it, and I'm picky with that sort of thing.

Eggface
on 7/10/15 5:42 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I use Sugar Free Torani Syrups (other brands Davinci, Monin, Starbucks) they are basically flavored Splenda & Water suspension. I don't have any issues with it. Dry packet splenda is almost too sweet to me. I use it on occasion but I prefer the liquid. Great in coffee and I do a bunch of recipes and baking with it (adjustments need to be made for liquid/dry ratio.)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/10/15 8:49 pm

Trivia has stevia and Erythritol. Type of SA. They give me gas. Now liquid stevia - is the best for me. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active