7 Years Post Op October 1 - Need Advice to Get Back on Track

laurafazio
on 7/21/15 4:05 am - South Bend, IN

I am coming up on my 7 years post op and need to lose 25 pounds which I have put back on. I fully realized this when I needed to get back into wearing Summer clothes. I have not gone up a size and really do not want to - weight seemed to distribute in a manner which has allowed me to continue wearing most of the clothes I have. But it has also had me putting some clothes aside which aren't as comfortable any longer. I realize I need to start back on tracking food, liquids, and exercise. I want to know if there is anyone else here this far out experiencing weight gain stresses? I am totally an emotional eater and this past 6-9 months have been CRAZY. 

Deedles
on 7/21/15 5:29 am - Highlands, TX

In September I'll be 6yrs out. I've gained about 40 lbs the last couple of years and I DID go up a size! DH was diagnosed with cancer and my focus had to totally change to him and what was best for his needs. Lots of time spent in hospitals, no real food in the house, as well as all the stress, etc. didn't help. Thankfully he's doing well and we're back to a 'normal' sort of life, so it's time to take care of business.

I easily maintained my weight for over 2 years after starting maintenance. So it was such a surprise when seemingly overnight my favorite jeans just wouldn't zip. That dreaded "just once won't hurt" stinkin' thinkin' had struck!

I'm now back on track and doing good. MyFitnessPall.com was a huge help pre- and post-surgery as well as my Fitbit. After 2 weeks logging my meals has become habit again. I had forgotten what a secure feeling it was to know exactly where you stand during the day. As of today, I've lost 14 lbs. I haven't really done anything drastic, more of a combination of things....protein first, no drinking with meals, cut out empty carbs, listen to my pouch and stick to 30 min. meals. I've always been a slow eater but that just means I can graze forever! So I'm back to my 30 min. limit. But honestly, now that I'm back on track, my full signals have kicked back in. When I sneeze, I better not take that bite on the fork or I'll lose it!

One good side effect is DH is also eating better and has lost 10lbs himself. I still have to fix him some foods that I'd rather not eat but I've got that worked out. I don't know about you but I don't always feel like cooking! The summer heat, busy with other things, whatever, so on those days I feel like it/can cook I do alot. For instance, the other day I cooked a pot of chili, pot roast and veggies, squash casserole, baked spaghetti squash and made sauce with meatballs, big pot of seafood gumbo and brown 5 lbs of ground turkey. I also had 3 big packages of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breasts marinating so DH could grill them when he got home. When it was all said and done, I had meals in the freezer for the next 10 days plus lunches for DH at work. The hardest part was deciding what to have and remembering to thaw it out!

I'm finding out...the pouch still rules, it works if you work with it and get back to basics...protein first!

Now if I can just get off my lazy hiney and get some exercise!

Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

Laura in Texas
on 7/21/15 5:33 am

Dee!! So glad to see you posting again!! I am so sorry about your DH's cancer battle but am glad he is on the mend.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Deedles
on 7/21/15 5:36 am - Highlands, TX

Hi yourself! I've been looking around to see who may still be around. Getting back on the board has been a huge help in getting my mental self back in place...ya know?!?!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/21/15 6:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Great post. Perfect advice. Welcome back.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

laurafazio
on 7/21/15 7:56 am - South Bend, IN

Sorry to hear! Thank you very much for replying. I am going to go back to using my fitness pal app - I have it on my phone but need to create that habit once again. I have maintained my weight up to this year - and I definitely want to change this. I did not get this tool to just break it and go back to before. NO WAY!!! I came back on here for the support and encouragement and I received a welcome back and it feels awesome. 

Making dinners and freezing sounds great, but I would forget as well. I want to also go back to slow cooker - that worked great for us. Meal done when we got home so no time to snack before and while making dinner. 

Begin bringing my breakfast and lunch to work will help as well. Too easy to run out or down to cafeteria and grab something that is not as healthy as it can be. 

EXERCISE!!! 

I want to find a fitbit group here to create challenges...that might help all of us to be accountable. 

Again, thank you for your support. 

Deedles
on 7/21/15 8:14 am - Highlands, TX

I'm a huge fan of My Fitness Pal! It's so easy to customize your goals to specifically track the proteins, cals, carbs, fibers, etc. You know how we like to play with our food to get those perfect recipes, they are easy to add so listing things are much quicker. The phone app is a necessity!

Do you have a Fitbit or one of the other fitness thingies? It will automatically sync with MFP. Very cool!

Laura in Texas
on 7/21/15 5:31 am

I had my RNY 2 weeks before you. The class of 2008 is an awesome group 

Lots of people experience regain. Luckily you have decided to stop it now rather than wait to gain more. You know what to do, now just do it. The mental part is the hardest. Forgive yourself and start fresh from here. Take things one day or even one meal at a time. Aim for 90% compliance. If you slip, forgive yourself and get right back on track. You can do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

laurafazio
on 7/21/15 7:58 am - South Bend, IN

YAY for the class of 2008!!! 

I have to stop it now and do not want to move any further up the scale. I am going to get on scale - scared to death that it might be more than i anticipated - and post new goals on here. Once I type it in, it will help keep me accountable. 

Thank you very much for your encouragement! 

mschwab
on 7/21/15 12:20 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Welcome back.  We are here for you!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics