Need advice - 2 1/2 weeks post RYN

LuckyDogg
on 7/26/15 5:42 pm

I am 2 1/2 weeks post RYN.  I am getting in all my protein and liquids with no problem.  My concern is the pain I still have in my lower left abdomen.   Dr. said everything looked good at my 1 week check up, and that it was ok to hurt as I had just had major surgery.  The next week, the pain is still strong and I talked to his PA.  She said it sounds completely normal, and may last up to 4 weeks! Sitting down, and getting back up is awful.  Cannot bend to reach low objects, empty dishwasher, laundry, etc.  I take tylenol during the day, with little effect. Still taking narcotics at night, just to sleep through without pain.  Has anyone else been here, and can you offer any words of wisdom on how to deal or at least some encouragement?   Thanks so much.

aesposito
on 7/26/15 6:39 pm

Mine hurt for at least a month, if not longer.  I remember sneezing a few weeks after surgery and feeling like something ripped inside.  As long as your doctor says it's OK, and your instinct tells you all is well, you will just have to wait for it to get better.  Sleeping upright on a chair/couch helped a lot.  I stopped taking pain pills a few days after surgery, but different people feel pain differently. 

Oh and Tylenol, unless mixed with Vicodin or other narcotics, is useless for most pain.  Save your liver and don't bother.

And of course, if your instinct tells you something is wrong, always follow the instinct.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Roma
on 7/26/15 7:19 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

That is normal, and could continue if you push yourself too much. It's best not to bend, stretch, or lift as you are healing. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

kim_pei
on 7/26/15 7:25 pm - Canada

Hi... I had my RNY on May 26th and I had the same pain in the left side just at the bottom of my ribs.  It worried me but they told me the same thing.  It went away between 3 and 4 weeks.  Only you can determine your pain levels but what you have described it pretty much spot on to the way I was at the same time.    You sound like your getting all your fluids in....make sure you dont get constipated as that can cause pain too.  Otherwise rest...be kind to yourself and take a day at a time before you know it you will be down a bit of weight that makes you more comfortable and the pain is gone.  I was a bit slower as I had a few complications but I clearly remember feeling so good at 5 weeks.  All the best and dont rush anything.  Be very kind to yourself.

Kim

MickeyDee
on 7/26/15 8:05 pm

That pain is usually because that is where the surgeon inserts the camera and tools.  It will be somewhat painful just because it is larger and effects the muscles more.  Use your Lortab (if offered) as needed.

Chilipepper
on 7/26/15 9:45 pm

You have a lot of internal bruising and trauma from surgery. It takes time to heal. Support your abdomen when you move around with your arm or pillow 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

selhard
on 7/26/15 10:46 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Were you sent home from the hospital wearing a support band around your abdomen?  If not, the tightness and security wearing one really seemed to help with movement.  The band is about about 12-15 inches wide and is secured by velcro. 

LuckyDogg
on 7/27/15 3:10 am

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.  Guess I'll just have to continue to wait for things to heal in their own time.  I appreciate the advice.

jHuggett
on 7/28/15 7:10 am

Hi.  I am just 4 weeks out last Thursday and I hurt so bad on both sides that I knew something had to be wrong.  My Dr ordered a CT scan just to be sure since I called in every week reporting pain.  Absolutely nothing was wrong.  And, sure enough, as of yesterday, all pain is gone.  It takes time.  I just knew something had gone terribly wrong and my Dr reassured me every time that it was normal.  When you are in pain, you cannot see any of this as normal.  But time passes, and the pain will get better :)

LuckyDogg
on 7/28/15 9:20 am

Thanks, everyone for your words of wisdom and encourgement.  I'm not totally there yet, but the pain is definitely lessening. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 489 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 317 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 164 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?