what protein powder is better??

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/15 3:32 pm
RNY on 09/14/15

Both are at Walmart the eas complete or pure protein? Both are around 20 dollars I can't spend anymore then thay a week I start my pre op diet 3 weeks for tomorrow for 3 weeks eek... but any advice would be helpful I would like to buy one a week.

rocky513
on 8/2/15 9:53 am, edited 8/2/15 9:53 am - WI

Everybody has different tastes.  What is good for me might taste like monkey butt to you.

I use Body Fortress Whey Isolate protein powder from Walmart,  It costs around $21 and is 99% lactose free.  Many people become lactose intolerant after surgery.  Body Fortress makes another whey protein that is NOT ISOLATE  ( it's the cheaper one, $15).  We absorb whey isolate better and it is the only whey-based protein that is lactose free.  I mix it with my morning coffee.  You can mix it with milk,  unsweetened soy milk, almond milk, or cashew milk.

Don't buy a lot of protein powder before your surgery.  Your tastes will change drastically after surgery.  Many people buy sample packets online, or at a nutrition store, like The Vitamin Shoppe, or GNC.  That way you are not locked into a protein that you hate after spending a lot of money on it.  The nutrition stores cost more, but they will take back an opened tub of protein powder if you don't like it and you can try a different brand.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/15 5:04 pm
RNY on 09/14/15

Thank you :) I'm more asking if they are ok for the bypass like not to many carbs and stuff I like a lot of protein shakes all of them taste like milk shakes to me im just trying to make sure that I'm doing this all right.

rocky513
on 8/2/15 9:26 pm - WI

Body Fortress Isolate has 140 calories per scoop with 30 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs, 1 gram of sugar.  You want to look for a protein that has low calories and low sugars/carbs with high protein grams.  There are a lot of protein powders that are high calories, high carbs that are made for body builders.  You want to stay away from those.  If you are only supposed to eat 500 to 800 calories a day, and your protein shake is  250 calories with 24 grams of protein ( and you need 80 grams of protein per day),  do the math,  that doesn't leave much room for anything else.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Nerdy_girl
on 8/2/15 5:23 pm - MD

To make the best use of your budget, make sure you are looking at protein powders and not ready-to-drink items as those will be more expensive.  Also, be sure to look at the amount of protein in each serving.  For example, my two favorite powders have very different definitions of "serving" -- one counts a single scoop as a serving, and the other counts two scoops as a serving. But one scoop of the first happens to have the same amount of protein as a single scoop of the second one.  If I compare based on servings, the second one appears twice as expensive, but they are actually the same price per scoop. 

The most expensive protein is the one you buy and don't use.  Contact bariatric food companies, like Bariatric Advantage, and ask if they will send you samples.  Some have free samples, while others sell sample packs so that you can try one serving of each. 

You could also go to a Vitamin Shoppe or similar store and bring a blender bottle (or a water bottle and a spoon for stirring), and ask if they happen to have any open containers in the back from returned products that you might be able to sample. That could allow you to try different brands without paying.

Finally, it's none of our business but if you (or someone else reading this post months later) happens to be eligible for food assistance, protein shakes can be purchased using EBT as long as they have a "Nutrition Facts" panel and not a "Supplement Facts" one.

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/15 5:27 pm
RNY on 09/14/15

Very good advice thanks so much. Yes I am doing powder it just stinks my job is cutting my hours before my surgery and it's killing me but its whatever. And yes I used to get ebt but they cut it down so much I don't even try anymore and thanks so much again :)

Nerdy_girl
on 8/2/15 5:35 pm - MD

If you had your hours reduced you are bringing in less income, so you might consider reapplying just for this pre/post surgery period where you'll have to rely on protein shakes pretty heavily.  Remember, you also get income credit for medical costs, and I am sure you have increased medical costs right now with all the copays for pre surgical tests and such. 

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/15 5:41 pm
RNY on 09/14/15

I'm very lucky that I don't need to pay anything out of pocket for it. My boyfriend said I should re-apply maybe I will on Wednesday just for the time I'm missing I wonder if they will do that.

Felicity Q.
on 8/2/15 7:23 pm
DS on 09/28/15

A rule of thumb that I see frequently here (and in other locations, including my pre-surgery information packet) is that your protein drink has the correct ratio of protein to calories to carbs.

Your protein supplement should have no more than a 10:1 ratio of Calories:Protein (for example, a 24g serving of protein should have no more than 240 calories) and no added sugar. 

From reading others' meal plans, it seems like premier protein is pretty much the standard 'round these parts. :)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

selhard
on 8/2/15 9:05 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I prefer UNJURY brand protein powder because it's 100% whey protein isolate, made in the USA, and mixes well.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views